Chapter 2

As my body went limp, I expected to feel the pain of hitting the hard ground, but it never came. Instead I felt two arms wrap around me. "Hey! Newbie, wake up!" A voice said. I fought back the fog that threatened my consciousness and blinked away the black spots in my vision.
When my mind cleared and I was able to see again, I found myself in the arms of the purple rabbit. "Uhh, thanks..." I trailed off, realizing I did not know his name.
"Jax." He said. "Don't get used it." He let go of me and I had to quickly balance myself so I did not fall to the floor.
"My name's-." I stopped. I could not remember my name! I desperately searched my mind, trying to remember my name- trying to remember anything- but I could not. I had no memories whatsoever. "Why can't I remember my name? I can't remember anything!" I began to freak out a little.
Jax put his hand on my shoulder. "The same happened to all of us." He said, trying to reassure me. It just made me freak out even more. What was this place?!
"No one remembers their name when they enter the digital circus!" The ringleader said in an optimistic-sounding voice despite the unnerving news he was delivering. "But lucky for you, you get to choose a new one!"
He then went on to recite a list of guidelines for what the name could be. He was talking so fast that I could barely tell what he was saying. When he finished, I just blinked in confusion.
"So, what'll it be?" He asked.
"Umm," I gave it a long thought but nothing came to mind. I never was good at coming up with names. Or maybe I was. I could not remember if that was true or not. "I'm not sure."
"Well, we can help with that!" He said.
"Wait! I got it. I can do it!" I said. I thought even harder but I could not seem to remember any names that I would like. My eyes squinted and eyebrows furrowed as I thought as hard as I could. By how my face looked, it probably looked like I was in pain. "Hold on! I'll think of something!"
The ringleader stared at me as I thought for several more minutes. The rest of the characters looked bored. One was gone, disappearing into a fort made out of pillows.
"How about we help you out with that name!" The ringleader said.
I gave it one last thought before giving up. "Alright, fine." I gave in. Suddenly a large box fell out of the air and landed right in front of me. It was red and yellow and had a lever on one end while its face displayed a bunch of random letters.
The ringleader pulled the lever, making the letters rotate. It landed on the letters Q N Y L G. "How about Qnylg?" He asked.
    "Uhh.."
    "Right, terrible." He pulled the lever again. "What about Eggal?" He read what the letters spelt. Were any of these actually names?
    "Umm, no."
    He pulled the lever again. "What do you think of Pomni?" He asked.
    "Hey! That's my name!" The jester said.
    "Oops, that one's already taken." He pulled the lever once again. "Jumtl?"
    I knew it was a random letter generator, but none of these were actual names! "No."
    He pulled the lever again as some of the other characters groaned. "Pefga?"
    "Nah."
    "Tilya?" That was better, but it did not sit right.
    "How about something else?" I said. His eye twitched, clearly getting tired of my indecisiveness.
    "Do we all have to be here to watch this, Caine?" The character made of colorful shapes said in an annoyed voice.
    "Don't worry, Zooble. We're almost done here." The ringleader- Caine- said before turning to me again. "Whatever the name generator lands on next is going to be your name, alright?"
    "What if I don't like it?" I asked.
    His hands clenched and unclenched a couple of times as his eye twitched again. "Whether you like it or not, whatever you get will be your name!"
    "But-." He cut me off.
    "Unless you can think of something yourself." He said. I was silent. "Alright, here we go!" He pulled down the lever. It landed on the letters J U N I E. "Congratulations Junie! That's your new name!"
    "Could we just do it one more time?" I asked.
    "No!" He yelled. He then chuckled slightly and regained his optimistic demeanor. "You're Junie now! Get used to it!"
    Junie was not that bad of a name. I could live with it.
    "Welcome to your new home, Junie." Jax said.