Chapter 18

"The adventure is..." Caine paused for dramatic effect. How long was he going to do this for? "Circus exploration!"
All of us were completely silent and confused. "What's that?" Pomni asked.
"Good question!" Caine said. He did not say anything else for several long seconds and I was just about convinced that he was not going to give us an explanation. "Splitting into teams of two or three, you will race against each other to map out the entire circus with these special cameras!"
He snapped his fingers and three large, colorful cameras with strange buttons all over them appeared in the air. Seemingly on their own, they floated down to Jax, Ragatha, and Kinger, whose eyes seemed to pop out of his head as he observed the strange-looking object.
"Do we have to map out the entire digital circus?" Ragatha asked.
"Don't fear my dear! You only have to map out everything inside the tent!" Caine said, holding his arms out to gesture to the tent they were in.
"Great, that'll only take us about a week." Jax said as he rolled his eyes.
"What if we get lost?" Gangle asked.
"That's where the map on your camera comes in handy!" Caine said. "That is, if you use it right!"
"And how do we use these?" I asked, glancing at the weird camera in Jax's hands. It was bright blue, yellow, and red and looked like a mix between a Polaroid camera and an old fashioned one. There were also a bunch of weird buttons covering it. Each of them were shiny and colorful and varied in size.
    "That's a good question!" Caine said. "See that big purple button on the top?" All of us glanced at said button. "That's how you take pictures. Every picture you take gets added to the camera's digital map. To view it you press the-."
"The small red button." The bubble said, suddenly appearing and cutting Caine off.
"Don't listen to Bubble!" Caine shouted. "Never press that button!" Realizing how riled up he was, he calmed himself down by taking a deep breath. "The green button is the one you press to view the map."
"What does the red button do?" Kinger asked, eyeing the button as his hand hovered over it.
"Never touch that! You don't want to find out." Caine took the camera away from Kinger just before he pressed it. "Maybe someone else should hold onto this." He handed it to Gangle who looked terrified to even touch it.
"If we're not supposed to use the red button, why even include it?" Jax remarked.
"Why, Jax, I'm glad you asked." Caine said. "So, who's ready to start the adventure?" Jax rolled his eyes as Caine neglected to answer him.
"I don't have to do this, do I?" Zooble asked.
"Ha ha ha!" Caine laughed. "Of course you do! Now, find your teams!"
Jax turned to me. "Up to be my partner?" He asked.
"Oh, um, sure." I said, surprised but happy that he chose me. Wait, why was I even surprised? I should have seen it coming. It would have been more of a surprise if he chose someone else.
After the others teamed up- Pomni with Gangle and Ragatha with Kinger and Zooble- Caine announced that it was time to start. "The first team to get back to me with a complete map wins! Ready? Go!"
And with that, the race started and we all rushed off.