Chapter 11

As our small ship approached the pirate ship, we all prepared ourselves. Once we were in position I told Jax to drop anchor and he did. Our ship stopped right next to the pirates.
    Having spotted us, the red pirate monkeys jumped up and down, chattering up a storm of noise. One knocked over a barrel, spilling the swords it contained onto the floor. The monkeys all rushed over to the overturned barrel and picked up a sword.
    "Oh no, they're armed." Pomni said.
    "So are we." Jax said, holding two swords in his hands. He gave one to me and I gave him a determined smile.
    "Kinger, watch over the ship." I said.
    "Can do!" He said before staring down the pirate ship with a piercing gaze.
    "I meant our ship!" I said.
    "Oh, right." He said as he moved his gaze from the pirate ship to the deck of our own ship. I sighed before deciding to let it go.
    "Alright, let's go!" I told the others. Grabbing onto the ropes that Pomni and Ragatha had tied to the beams on our ship, we swung over onto the deck of the pirate ship.
The pirate monkeys raised their swords at as and attacked the second we landed. We fought back, disarming the monkeys and throwing them overboard into the lake.
Gangle tried to fight a few monkeys but mostly cowered behind Pomni as she fought. Once Pomni moved away from her, giving Gangle no cover, she left the fight and rushed over to Zooble to put her back together.
"It's about time you guys showed up." Zooble said in an annoyed voice.
"You okay, Zooble?" Gangle asked.
"I will be once we're off this **** ship." She said. Gangle began gathering Zooble's pieces and putting her back together while the rest of us fought the monkeys.
    It did not take long for us to fend off the majority of monkeys and send them overboard. As I was briefing looking around at the fight, the monkey I was engaged with caught me off guard and disarmed me.
    "Unfair!" I said as I backed up with my hands raised. The monkey slowly drew closer with its sword pointed at me.
    Suddenly a blur swung through the sky, kicking the monkey and sending it flying overboard before landing next to me. I looked over at who it was and was filled with shock.
    "Ah! Kinger!" I screamed.
    He stared at me blankly for several seconds before suddenly screaming as well. "Ah! Junie!"
    "What are you doing here? You're supposed to be watching the ship!"
    "What ship?" He asked. I could not stop myself from facepalming.
    "That ship!" I said, pointing. He looked in the direction I was indicating and continued to stare blankly.
    "What ship?" He repeated.
    I turned to find that the ship was no longer where I left it. The anchor had been lifted and the ship was sailing away. "Oh no! The ship!" I yelled, catching Jax's attention. He came to my side to observe the predicament.
    "That monkey's got our ship!" He said. I looked closer and saw that at the wheel was one of the red monkeys.
    "We have to go after it!" I yelled.
    "We finished off the monkeys." Pomni said.
"Good." I rushed to the wheel as Jax weighed anchor. The wind filled the sails of the pirate ship, sending it sailing forward quickly. "It's going for the treasure!" I said as I came to the realization.
"Not if we get there first." Jax said, now at my side.
The pirate ship- which was our ship now- was much faster than the ship the monkey stole from us. In less than a minute we had already caught up. As we were about to pass the smaller ship, a strange noise caught my attention.
Looking over at the other ship, I found that the monkey was no longer at the wheel. Instead, it was on the deck next to a cannon that was angled in my direction. Noticing the sparks coming off of the fuse, I realized that it was loaded and about to fire.
I had to move. I had to get out of the way. But I could not. I completely shut down, frozen in place as a loud sound boomed through the air, followed by a cannonball quickly hurling towards me.