Chapter 21

I was frozen in place, entirely incapable of moving or tearing my eyes away from the horrific sight before me. The room I was in was pitch black was sparce of any furniture or anything. It was not the room itself but what it was containing that terrified me.
    Inside were dozens of creatures straight out of my nightmares. They were tall and black with long necks and jagged skin that looked like it was glitching. They looked like the manifestation of darkness, but what was even creepier was that they were all covered in brightly colored eyes.
Their eyes were all darting in every direction around the room, but once I stepped inside, they all pointed straight at me. My breath caught in my throat as everything was still.
    I felt my stomach drop as a chill ran down my spine. What were these things? What were they doing here? Why were they here in the circus? Did anyone else know of this place? I had so many questions and no answers to any of them.
    Without thinking, I raised the camera and took a picture of the room. The bright flash of the camera filled the entire room before it returned back to darkness. Everything happened so fast, I could not process any of it.
    As soon as the flash went off, every single one of the strange creatures bolted, charging around the room in a frenzy and ramming into each other. The ones closest to me charged in my direction but I was too shocked to move.
"Did you hear me? Run!" Jax yelled as he grabbed my hand and yanked me out of the room. The second the both of us were outside, Jax immediately closed the door and pressed his body against it. The door moved as the creatures harshly rammed against it from the other side.
"C'mon, Junie." Jax said, stepping away from the door. His eyes glanced at the door with uncertainty before turning to me. "Junie? Junie!" He repeated my name a few times but I was too stunned to speak or move.
My eyes were wide, my body frozen. I still could not believe what I had just seen. I had not even completely processed it yet.
Giving up on trying to get me to move, Jax picked me up and threw me over his shoulder as he quickly ran down the hall. After a few minutes I was able to get myself to function again.
I squirmed in Jax's arms, trying to get out of his grasp. He put me down but did not stop moving forward. I had to quicken my pace to keep up with him.
"What the **** was that?!" I yelled.
"They're the ones who abstracted." Jax told me.
"What?!" I stopped walking. Abstracted? Wasn't that the thing Ragatha told me about? She never mentioned anything like this!
    "We have to keep moving." Jax told me. I ignored him.
    "What were they doing in there? What if they get out?" I said in a complete panic.
    "That's why we need to tell Caine what we found!" Jax said. "Can you run?" I did not answer.
    Kneeling down in front of me, Jax gestured for me to get onto his back. Without arguing or putting up a fight, I got on and he stood up, grabbing onto my thighs to keep me in place. My mind felt numbingly empty as Jax carried me while he ran.
    My head was spinning but at least I had Jax with me. Being in his arms made me feel better. Though I was still on edge, I at least felt safe in Jax's arms.