Chapter 17

I woke up in my bedroom, lying on my bed without any recollection of how I got there. Thinking back, the memories of the day before slowly came back to me. The carnival, the fireworks, Jax.
    I blushed as I thought about him carrying me back to my room. And that thing I felt against my forehead. Was that a kiss? Did he kiss me? It sure felt like it, but I was not positive.
    Maybe I just dreamed it. Yeah, that had to be it. Why would he ever do something like that? Why would he want to kiss me?
    As I got up and left my room, I did my best to push the thought of the "kiss" out of my mind. But no matter how hard I tried, I could not forget about it completely.
The moment I saw Jax, the memory suddenly rushed back into my head. I had to quickly look away from him to stop myself from blushing.
    He approached me, not helping how flustered I already was. "So, how'd you sleep?" He asked.
    "G-good." I glanced up at him but the butterflies swarming in my stomach made me quickly look back down. 
    "That's good to hear." He said as he patted my head in the same place he had kissed me. Or I thought he kissed me, if that really did happen.
    My face turned bright red, and I did my best to hide it with my hair as I stepped away from him. "Um, thanks for carrying back to my room." I said, though it came out quieter than I wanted it to.
    He stepped closer to me, flustering me even more. "It was my pleasure." The way he smiled at me sent a shiver down my spine and made my heart jump.
    "Well don't you two seem to be getting along well." Ragatha said as she and Pomni approached us.
    "Jax has been really nice to me." I told her.
    "Really?" Pomni questioned.
    "Hey! I can be nice." Jax said. "When I feel like it."
    "That's good, Junie. I'm glad Jax has been treating you right." Ragatha said.
    "So, how'd you like the carnival?" I asked Pomni.
    "It was nice." She said. She did not seem to be as excited about it as I was. Maybe I was just overly excitable.
    "I loved it. It was so amazing." I said.
    "I saw you running around with Jax." Ragatha said. "I could tell you two were having lots of fun." She had a sly smile on her face. I wonder why.
    "I did have fun. Jax won me a prize!" I told her.
    She glanced over at Jax with somewhat of a smirk. "Oh really now?"
    Jax rolled his eyes. "I was tired of her failing over and over again. It was getting kinda sad."
    "That game was hard!" I said with a huff.
    "Sure." Jax said. Ragatha and Pomni smiled as they watched us. Before I could ask them what they were smiling about, Caine suddenly showed up.
    "Who's ready for another wacky in-house adventure?" He said in a loud announcer voice.
    "Woo." Jax said very unenthusiastically.
    "Glad to see your enthusiasm!" Caine said. "Ready to hear what the adventure is?" All of us were silent. He continued anyway. "The adventure is..."
    He drew out the last word for nearly a minute to add suspense. I sighed. This was going to be a long day.