Chapter 20

Jax and I went from room to room taking pictures of each one we went into. Slowly, the map in the camera began to get filled in, but we still had a long way to go.
"How many are we at?" I asked Jax as we walked out of one room and into another.
He looked down at the screen of the camera. "Fifty-seven." He said.
I perked up. "Wow, that's a lot!" We had to have been at least somewhat close to being done.
Jax glanced down at me with an expression that looked like he was reading my mind. By what he said next I was certain he somehow had. "We're not even halfway done."
The shock of what he said made me stop suddenly in my tracks. "What?!"
He showed me the map on the camera. Only about two thirds of it was filled in. "See? Not even close."
"How many rooms are in this place?!" I nearly yelled.
"I guess we'll find out when we're done." He said, seemingly unbothered by the whole situation. I on the other hand was practically pulling my hair out.
"What type of "adventure" is this?" I said, putting air quotes over the "adventure" part. "Why would Caine make us do something like this if there are so many rooms!"
Jax just shrugged. "I mean how is this even possible? Yeah, it's a big tent, but it's not this big! Or at least it doesn't look like it would be this big. How is it this big?" I continued to rant.
As I talked, Jax silently listened while he continued to take pictures of every room we went into. It took me over five minutes until I finally glanced over at him and realized he was smiling at me.
"What?" I questioned him with a raised eyebrow.
He was silent for a few seconds before nonchalantly looking away. "Oh, nothing." He said.
"It didn't seem like nothing." I said. "What were you smiling at?"
"You." He said without looking at me.
Part of me was grateful that he was still staring straight ahead. That way he would not see how much I was blushing. "Me?.. Why?"
He glanced down at me and I looked away as I blushed an even brighter shade of red. "Why not?"
"I don't see you smiling at anyone else the way you smile at me." I said.
Jax stopped walking and I nearly bumped into him. "Well, that's because none of them are you." He said. I was so flustered by what he said that I did not realize that he started walking again. I had to run a few steps to catch up with him.
I was silent as I was still processing what he said and had no idea what to say back. Was he flirting with me? That was what it felt like but I did not want to get my hopes up.
Enjoying Jax's company and still trying to figure out what I meant to him, we spent the next two hours walking in and out of every room in the tent. But as the time dragged on, it felt like we were an eternity away from being done. Soon my legs began to grow tired and I felt myself getting bored.
"Want me to carry you?" Jax asked, sending me a smirk.
"What? No!" I quickly said.
"You look tired." He said.
"Nah, I'm not tired at all!" I lied. I could tell that he saw right through it.
"If you say so." He sent me another smirk that made me think he was up to something. I was about to question him about it but before I was able to he quickened his pace slightly.
Confused at what he was doing, I sped up to match his pace. But once I did that, he sped up again. "Hey!" I called after him.
He did not turn around. "What? Am I too fast for you?" He said over his shoulder. I quickened my pace again to catch up with him but he was going too fast.
"Wait up!"
Seeing that I was far behind him, he stopped and turned around. I slowed down, slightly out of breath as I caught up with him. He was smirking at me the entire time.
"I told you not to run again." I told him.
"Aw, I was just having a little fun." He said, nudging me playfully.
"Whatever." I rolled my eyes. "Are we almost done?"
"What? Have you already had enough of me?" He said in a teasing tone.
"Maybe." I said slyly.
He rolled his eyes. "C'mon, you love me."
"As if!" I said, though I could not stop the butterflies from stirring in my stomach.
"We only have a few more rooms." He said.
"Good. I can't wait for this to be over." I said. With a slight pep in my step, I walked into the last few rooms with Jax. When we were finally done I was ecstatic. "Yes! Finally!"
"Now we just have to find our way back." Jax said.
"Can I have a turn looking at the map?" I asked. Jax shrugged and handed me the camera. I was kinda confused by what was on it, but I did my best to lead us back to where Caine was.
After walking for about a half an hour I realized I was lost. "I don't recognize this part of the tent." Jax said as he looked around our surroundings.
"Wait, what's that?" I said, pointing at a door we had not gone through yet.
"I don't remember that on the map." Jax said. I began to approach the door and he tentatively followed behind me. "Careful Junie, we don't know what's in there." He warned me.
"I just wanna see." I said as I opened the door. As soon as I stepped inside I froze as a spark of terror shot through me.
I felt Jax tense up behind me. "Run!"