Chapter 3

"What?" I asked as I turned to Jax. "What do you mean my new home?"
    "That's just the thing about the Amazing Digital Circus!" Caine said.
    "Where's the exit?" I asked.
    "There is no exit!" His words struck me like a bullet at point blank.
    "What?" I was trapped here? I could not believe this. This could not be real! It had to be a dream! I pinched myself and flinched at the pain that surged through me. Nope, not a dream.
    "I already tried to find the exit." Pomni said. "Trust me, you don't want to go there."
    "So I'm stuck here? Forever?" I asked.
    "It's not so bad." The rag doll said.
    "You'll get used to it." Jax said. But I did not want to get used to it! I wanted to go home! Wherever that was. I had a family waiting for me- or at least I thought so. I hoped so, but I could not remember.
    I wanted my memories back! I wanted to go home. This place was cool and all but it was not somewhere I wanted to be trapped for the rest of my life! There had to be a way out somewhere!
    I felt slightly dizzy as my panic grew. "You okay there?" Jax asked.
    "Perhaps what you need is a classic in house adventure!" Caine said.
    "I just want some time alone to think." I said.
    "I'll take you to your room." The rag doll offered.
"My room? Um, alright."
"I guess we'll have an adventure after this brief intermission!" Caine announced. Zooble rolled her eyes.
"Whenever someone enters the digital circus, a room for them appears." The rag doll explained as she led me towards a corridor that had a bunch of doors with pictures of different characters on them. "I'm Ragatha. I wish we were meeting under better circumstances."
"Yeah." I said, barely paying attention as my mind was in a daze. I looked at all of the pictures as we passed them. Some of them I recognized as the others trapped in this circus. Others displayed characters I did not recognize that had an X covering the image.
"Who do these rooms belong to?" I asked, pointing at some of the pictures with Xs on them.
"Uhh," Ragatha looked away uncomfortably for a moment. "Those were the rooms of former characters."
"What happened to them?" I asked, curiosity peaking my interest.
    "Well, they..." She trailed off, taking her time to get to the point. "They abstracted."
    "Abstracted? What's that?" I asked, unable to hide the panic in my voice.
    "Um, it's not something you should worry about right now." She said. I could tell that she did not want to overwhelm me with worry, but the lack of information just made me panic even more. Seeing this, she sighed and decided to explain further. "It's what happens when you reach your breaking point."
    "Breaking point?"
    She chuckled nervously. "Yeah. But don't worry! We'll all have each other's backs. I'm sure we can all make it through this together." Despite her attempt to console me, I was just even more worried. Whatever this abstraction thing was, it sounded bad. What if I got to my breaking point? What if I could never leave? What if I abstracted?