Chapter 19

After Caine announced the start of the race, every team rushed off in different directions. I practically had to run in order to keep up with Jax's long, swift strides. Once we had made good distance from the starting point, Jax slowed down so that I could keep up with him easier.
"Thanks." I said, breathing heavily. "You walk really fast."
"You just have short legs." Jax said as he glanced down at me with a smirk.
"My legs aren't short!" I argued. "Your legs are just really long! Just look at them."
"I slowed down, didn't I?" He said.
"Just don't run super fast again. I won't be able to keep up." I told him.
"Don't worry. I wouldn't leave you behind." He said then sent a sly smirk my way. "If you ever can't keep up with me just let me know and I'll carry you."
    My face flushed bright red and I looked away from him in an attempt to hide it. "Yeah, no thank you." I said.
    "Why not? You were fine with it when I carried you back from the carnival." He said. Though I still did not look at him I could feel his amused eyes boring into me.
    "Well that's because I was asleep." I replied, my face blushing even more as I thought back to that night.
    "You know, you look cute when you're asleep." Jax said out of nowhere. I stopped walking without realizing it, frozen in place as I stared at him.
    "Excuse me?" I said, not sure if I heard him right.
    "Though you're just as cute when awake." He looked back at me with a sly smile and smirked at how red my face was. Turning forward, he continued walking casually as if nothing happened.
    My heart was pounding in my chest so fast I thought that it might explode. Why did he always have that effect on me? Why did he always say these things?
    He just liked messing with me, that I knew. He got amusement out of me becoming a blushing mess because of the things he said. But was that it? Was that all he felt for me? Amusement? Or was there something else?
    I shook my head, brushing the thought out of my mind. What was I thinking? There was nothing going on between us! Why would I even think that there could have been something? It was completely out of the question.
    I did not see him like that and he did not see me in that way either. That was how it was. Unless...
    "You coming?" Jax said, glancing back at me.
    "Oh, uh, yeah." I quickly ran to catch up with him as he opened the first door in the hallway. Once I caught up with him, our eyes met and I blushed again.
    Why? Why was I blushing again? I knew I could no longer deny it to myself. Maybe I did feel something for him.