Chapter 10

The wind blew through my blue hair, refreshing and relaxing me while at the same time filling me with a sense of adventure. As I stood at the wheel of the small ship that glided over the water, Jax approached me. While he stood next to me, I noticed something in his hand. Before I could ask what it was, he placed it on my head.
Taking the thing off of my head to look at it, I found that it was a pirate hat. I turned to him with a look of confusion. "What's this for?" I asked.
    "I found it down below." He said. "I figured we could use a captain."
    "Why me?"
    Jax stared at me for several seconds. His yellow eyes bored into mine. I could not tell what was going on in his mind, but I would have given anything to find out.
After a while he shrugged. "Who else?" That was not the answer I was hoping for. Especially since I felt like that was not the real answer.
Through his eyes I could see so many things. I saw that he was very observant and clever. I saw that he was always deep in thought and thought things through more than anyone else would. He chose his words carefully and said what he wanted over what was actually on his mind.
I was not sure why but I was drawn to him more than I could explain. I wanted to know what he thought. I wanted to know what he thought about me.
"You're staring again." Jax said, snapping me out of my thoughts. My cheeks turned pink in embarrassment.
"I wasn't staring! I was just thinking." I quickly said.
"What about?" He asked.
"Uhh." My eyes scanned my surroundings. What could I say? What could I say? Out of the corner of my eye I noticed Zooble on the pirate ship. She held a look of annoyance as the red monkeys danced around her. "Zooble! I was thinking about Zooble!"
Jax raised an eyebrow. His eyes shined. "Mhmm."
"Just look at her!" I tried to back up my lie. "She got captured by the pirates. Poor Zooble."
"She'll be fine." He said as he patted me on the back. I felt strange spark in my chest at his touch. "No need to worry about her. Leave that to gangle." In the distance I could hear Gangle cry.
"We still need to save her though."
He shrugged again. "If you say so."
Putting the captain hat back on my head, I steered our ship towards the pirate ship. "What's the plan, captain?" Ragatha asked as she approached me.
"We get close to the pirate ship and use ropes to swing over and save Zooble." I said.
"How will we fight off the pirates?" Gangle quietly asked.
"We could use these." Kinger said as he dragged over a barrel filled with swords.
    "That'll work." Jax said with a smirk. Then he turned to me. "Ready captain?"
    I smiled. "Ready."