Chapter 14

Jax and I walked side by side as we followed after the others. The artificial daylight shone brightly, illuminating our way as we left the tent. As we made our way across the grounds, my eyes kept glancing over at Jax.
His arms swayed back and forth as he walked with long strides. His steps were always so much longer than mine. In order to keep up with him I had to walk quickly.
Jax glanced down at me, catching me staring, and I immediately looked away. I could feel him smirking at me without even having to look. The sound of his footsteps slowed and I glanced back at him to find that he had slowed down to match my pace.
I smiled as he kept his gaze straight ahead. Who knew he was so thoughtful? Despite the fact that he was not looking at me, I was able to notice the small trace of a smile replacing his smirk.
    When we arrived at the carnival, I looked around in awe at all the bright colors. There were a bunch of different stalls and games everywhere that were manned by sentient wooden mannequins. Further down past the stalls were a few rides, including a Ferris wheel.
    Jax looked down at me and smiled at my excitement. "Where do you want to go first?" He asked.
    My eyes lit up as I glanced from him to the scene around me. "Everywhere!" I said. There was so much to do, I had no idea where to start.
    "Well, we can't do everything at once." Jax said. "Why don't we start here?" He pointed at one of the nearby stalls.
    "Alright." I rushed over to the stall while he leisurely followed after me. As we went from stall to stall, the others went their separate ways, exploring the carnival for themselves.
    After getting some cotton candy, I decided to play some games. "Can you hold this for me?" I asked Jax, holding my cotton candy out to him.
    "Sure." He shrugged as he grabbed it and held it for me. It took me several tries but after a while I was finally able to win. "Nice one." Jax congratulated me before taking a bite out of my cotton candy.
"Hey! That's mine!" I said as I took the cotton candy back.
"What? You don't mind, do you?" He asked as he leaned down so he would be at my eye level.
    I looked away from him, avoiding his eyes so I would not blush. "Just ask first." I mumbled.
    He smirked. "Can I have some?" He asked.
    "Uhh" I mentally scrambled to find a response. Before I even gave him an answer, he leaned down more and took another bite of my cotton candy. "Hey!"
    "You only said I had to ask." He said as he stood up with an amused glint in his eyes. "You never said I needed to wait for an answer."
    I let out a huff of air which only amused him more. I had to try my hardest to not smile. He always seemed to have that effect on me. No matter what he did, it always threatened to put a smile on my face.