Chapter 12

Everything went by in a flash as the cannonball rapidly shot towards me. Through the haze of my mind I was able to hear someone call my name. Then the world got blurry as I suddenly flew through the air and hit the floor.
    My eyes slammed shut upon impact and refused to open. I could feel something on top of me but could not tell what it was. "Junie? Junie?" I heard Jax say. I opened my eyes to find his face only inches from mine. I then realized that the weight on top of me was him. "You alright?"
    "Uhh, yeah." I said, trying my best not to blush at how close we were.
    "Good." He said as he stood up. "That was a close one." Extending his hand down to me, he helped me to my feet.
    "Thanks." I stuttered, still slightly dazed.
    "Don't mention it." He replied nonchalantly.
    "Are you alright?" Pomni asked as she and the others quickly approached me.
    "Yeah, I'm fine." I said.
    "We'll have to have a word with Caine." Ragatha said, her hands on her hips. "These adventures are supposed to be fun! Not dangerous!" She seemed way more upset than I was, and I was the one that almost got hit by a cannonball!
"It's alright. Just watch out for that monkey." I said.
Suddenly another loud boom exploded through the air as another cannonball was fired. We all braced ourselves for impact but it never came. I looked up to find that our ship was not the one that was hit.
"You mean that monkey?" Kinger said. I looked over to find him next to one of the pirate ship's cannons, a small trail of smoke drifting off of it. My eyes drifted to the other ship to find that the monkey was gone.
"Nice shot, Kinger." Jax said.
With the pirate monkeys out of the way, we were able to smoothly sail to the other side of the lake where we found the chest of treasure. All of us radiated excitement, some less than others- Zooble-, as we opened the chest. Inside it was filled with gold coins.
"Wow." I gasped.
"Haha we're rich!" Kinger shouted.
"Uh, guys." Pomni said as she held up one of the coins. "I'm sorry to say but this isn't real gold."
"What?" Gangle asked as she eyed the gold sadly.
"They're chocolate coins." She said as she unwrapped it and showed everyone.
Jax rolled his eyes, his smirk gleaming with annoyance. "Of course it is."
Zooble scoffed. "This is even lamer than I thought." With an annoyed expression and her hands on her hips, she walked away.
"This isn't so bad. It was still an entertaining adventure." Ragatha said.
Kinger seemed the least upset about the revelation of the chocolate coins. "We're rich!" He yelled again as he scooped up some of the coins. Or maybe he actually somehow did not realize they were fake. When it came to kinger, I was never sure.
"So, did you have fun on your first adventure?" Jax asked as he put a hand on my shoulder.
"Yeah, except for the part where I almost got hit by a cannonball." I said.
"But you're fine." He eyed me with a sneaky look. "Thanks to me."
"Are you gonna hold that over me forever?" I asked, cocking my head as I looked up at him.
"No." He drew out that word before leaning down so our faces were only a few inches apart. "But you do owe me your life."
I smiled slightly as I looked up at him. "What do I need to do to repay you?"
He smirked. "You'll see." With that he walked away, leaving my heart pounding. I did not know when it started beating so fast or why. Was it because of Jax?
Just the thought of him made my heart start beating faster. What was happening to me?