Chapter Two

"Anthony, are you paying attention?" The boy's eyes snapped up, a sheepish grin playing on his features. "Sorry Al, I zoned out there," he admitted. The other male chuckled, "I thought so." Anthony couldn't help but smile; Alastor's laughter had a magical way of brightening his day. Seated in a familiar booth at a small coffee shop, the two friends occupied their usual morning spot, relishing the peace and quiet of the place.

Alastor, a young man only a year or two older than Anthony, exuded an air of sophistication. His short brown hair was always impeccably styled, emitting a subtle fragrance of strawberries that Anthony found strangely comforting. The man's hazel eyes were wide, observant, and captivating—Anthony loved getting lost in them. Clad in a crisp suit, usually in shades of brown, Alastor had his own radio show, the sole thing Anthony ever tuned into.

In contrast, Anthony sported blond hair so light it almost appeared white, with a delicate pink strip running through it. He let his hair fall naturally, perpetually giving the impression that he had just rolled out of bed. Taller than Alastor by a few inches, Anthony had a slender frame and a few despised freckles across the bridge of his nose. His blue eyes, occasionally clouding over like a stormy sky, held a captivating intensity. Preferring comfort, Anthony dressed in sweaters and shorts.

Taking a sip of his coffee, Alastor broke the momentary silence, "In a few days' time, I will be leaving town for a week to visit my mother." Anthony felt his heart quicken, "A week?" Alastor reassured him softly, "It's not as long as it sounds, love." He was well aware of Anthony's nervousness, and the blonde's next question hung in the air with anticipation, "Could... Could I go with you?" The plea in Anthony's tone was unmistakable, and his eyes bore into Alastor's. Watching, tears filling his eyes, Anthony saw Alastor cast his gaze downward, silently, he was telling him no.