Chapter Twenty Six

Anthony sat at the back of the church, his gaze fixed on the priest standing solemnly at the altar. His eyes drifted to the casket, a heavy weight settling in his chest. He barely registered the words of the speech, knowing they were filled with falsehoods. The request for Anthony to deliver the eulogy had been met with a firm refusal; he couldn't bring himself to fabricate praise for Alastor, to deny the reality of their relationship. Despite his reluctance, guilt had compelled him to attend Alastor's funeral.

Once it was over, everyone left, except Anthony. Tears streamed down his cheeks unchecked as he grappled with the weight of his emotions. Someone had placed roses around the grave, a futile attempt to adorn the final resting place of a complicated soul. With trembling hands, Anthony reached for one of the flowers, pulling it out of the ground by its roots. His actions became almost frenzied as he continued to pluck the roses one by one, until all that remained were scattered petals and discarded stems.

"You promise," He muttered, voice breaking, "You promised you wouldn't leave me." Anthony dug his fingers into the dirt, muttering quietly to himself. To any onlookers, it would seem like he was praying, but he wouldn't pray for Alastor. If there was an afterlife, and he liked to think there was, prayers would be no good where Alastor would end up.

Finally, Anthony stood, rubbed his tears, and walked away. Despite his initial departure from Alastor's graveside, Anthony found himself returning time and time again. He would sit beside the grave, speaking as if Alastor were still there to listen. In a quiet tribute to his lost love, Anthony planted some of Alastor's favorite flowers around the grave, tending to them with a quiet devotion.

However, as the days passed, many began to notice a change in Anthony. Once known for his vibrant energy and infectious personality, he seemed to withdraw into himself. He grew increasingly irritable, snapping at others without provocation. An aura of constant anxiety surrounded him, and he could often be seen muttering to himself, lost in his own thoughts. His eyes held a wildness, a hint of something untamed lurking beneath the surface.

The loss of Alastor had left a profound mark on Anthony, one that seemed to consume him from within. Despite his attempts to carry on with life, the weight of his grief was evident in every gesture, every word spoken. And as he continued to visit Alastor's grave, it became increasingly clear that Anthony's world had been forever altered by the absence of his beloved.