Chapter Twenty One

Alastor watched as Vox rushed to the spot where Valentino had once stood. The opportunity to finish off the TV demon presented itself, yet a twinge of pity restrained the deer. Vox had cried out when the shadows engulfed the moth, his movements growing sloppy, eventually turning to flee. Alastor comprehended the motive; Vox wasn't fleeing in defeat but rushing to aid the one he loved. A glance toward the other cluster of shadows revealed the same. Alastor understood; if he couldn't command these creatures, he'd be charging into the fray to protect.

With the threat diminished, Alastor approached Angel Dust, a careful eye on Vox and Valentino. Both demons seemed incapacitated, lacking the strength for another assault. Slowly, he dispersed the shadows that surrounded them. Angel turned towards him, and in an instant, the deer found himself engulfed in a tight embrace.

"Holy shit, Al! You had me scared shitless!"

Alastor laughed, returning the embrace. "I could say the same, my dear." His fingers brushed against the bullet wound on the spider's shoulder. "You were supposed to be safely tucked away at the hotel."

"What the hell were you thinking? Running off in the middle of the night to fight Vox and Valentino?"

The radio demon fell silent. After a moment, he released Angel and stepped back. Holding up a paper, he caught the spider's wide-eyed gaze. "Is that... my contract?"

Alastor nodded. "After the state you came back in, I decided it was time to act."

Angel continued to stare at the contract. "How? Why?"

"I told you, mon amour, I want to help you." Alastor folded the contract and slipped it into his pocket before taking all four of the spider's hands. "Are you actually able to break the contract now?"

"Well, my dear, that's where things get complicated."

"What do you mean?"

"Contracts are quite tricky; it may take some time to fully rid you of it. But don't worry, my dear, I will get you out of it."

The spider let out a breath of air, then chuckled. "By this point, I don't think there is anything you can't do."

The deer chuckled in response. Then, slowly, Alastor leaned in, pressing a soft, lingering kiss on Angel's lips. It was a promise, a reassurance, and a declaration of the deep affection he held for the spider. When he pulled back, he looked into Angel's eyes, and with a gentle smile, said, "Let's go home, Anthony."