Chapter Two: Meeting Janice

It was a long drive to Georgia from North Carolina, I sat next to a young girl who introduced herself as Jane, she told me she was headed to Georgia to visit her dad, but would possibly be staying there permanently because her mother was constantly drinking. It almost reminded me of my situation, without a parent you can trust, so I told her about my situation. She was very apologetic and appreciative that I shared it with her. Then it came time for her bus stop.

"Well here is my number if you ever want to talk to me, but this is my stop, i enjoyed talking to you." she waved goodbye to me with a smile on her small, tired face and got off the bus.

     I was so scared to be entering a new household, what if there were more men there that would harm me? would they be a gang of serial killers? would they even want me? I knew deep down that All of these thoughts were stupid, but after all I'd been through, you never know what to expect.  

     I got off the bus around five pm. I was surrounded by many people at the bus stop, and I'd never even met my aunt, so I had no idea what her face looked like, I've always had problems with crowds. I started to feel dizzy as if I was gonna pass out, That's when I saw a short, plump woman with a joyful expression on her face waving me over. I walked over as fast as I could.

"Hi, My name is Mona, are you Janice Banks?" I asked her.

She nodded and replied, "Yes, yes that's me. It's so great to meet you, Sweetheart, your mother used to tell me all about you when we were younger." She had a sweet southern accent and beautiful red hair.

     The ride to Janice's house was beautiful, you could smell the beach, and I watched the palm trees sway with the wind, there weren't any palm trees where I lived, though I lived in North Carolina, I lived away from the coast in the city. I wanted to enjoy the beautiful breeze, and the breathtaking scenery, but I just couldn't, all I could think about was my mom, And how much I missed her. Janice looked over at me from the driver's seat, noticing I was extremely sad.

"Honey, I miss my sister every day, I want you to know that you are not alone in this, I'm here for ya."

Her kindness made me feel slightly better, but I was still weary, even though she was my aunt, she was still a stranger. So I just smiled and said, "Thank you, that means a lot."

We got to her home and I was introduced to The very large family, Janet's son Spencer, Her oldest daughter Tara, Tara's husband Derek, Their son Jonny, And Janet's daughter Rita. Hi, you're home just in time! dinners done!" Tara shouted from, the kitchen.

I took a deep breath as I entered the kitchen where everyone was sitting and said to myself, "Here I go."