Chapter 16

We were all on a mission, just generally trying to destroy a universe. Since it was a big group mission, I finally got to come along. Error was doing most of the work, the rest of us were mostly just watching for the Star Sanses. Some were doing tricks and such to pass the time. It didn't take long for the Stars to show up and we were quickly fighting them so Error could work. It seemed the moment Ink noticed me he rushed over and started fighting me. I was able to hold him off pretty easily, but it seemed strange that he wasn't focused on Error like he normally does. We continued back and forth for a while until I nearly failed to block, luckily Blue had come in just in time to block the hit for me.

Ink seethed, "get out of my way Blue!"

Blue kept his defensive stance, continuing to keep Ink away, not responding to Ink. They continued to fight, others helping Blue. We all continued to fight, but the strangest thing was that Ink didn't seem interested in the fact that Error was destroying an AU. He was very clearly focused on something else.

Eventually everything came to a stop, though I wasn't exactly sure how, and Nightmare could be seen talking to Dream. Everyone was still and watched the two. We were all a little spread out, so I had to use my heightened hearing to know what was happening, and the words I had heard shocked me. This wasn't going to end well.

The others next to me must have noticed my alarm because Cross spoke up, "Y/n, what's happening? What did they say?"

"Y/n?" Killer tried to get my attention, sounding worried.

Nightmare quickly told us to get back to the castle and Dream managed to get Ink to come with him. Once we were through the portal, Nightmare had regret written all over his face.

"I shouldn't have done that, that was an irrational mistake-"

"What was a mistake? Boss, what happened?" Dust chimed in, him and all the others waiting for Nightmare's answer with confused looks.

"One final battle." They now all looked at me, even more confused and now a bit worried, as my gaze fell to the floor. "It will end when either one team surrenders or loses their leader, is that right?" I looked up to Nightmare, "We could lose everyone if we go through with this." While my tone stayed calm, there were so many emotions coursing through me and I'm sure Nightmare could sense that. Worry, anger, sadness, I wasn't completely sure what to feel at the moment, but I felt it all. I was scared we would all die, angry that Nightmare was allowing this to happen, sad... I couldn't quite place why I was sad, perhaps at the thought of losing people who cared so deeply for me. I took off my bandanna, feeling a bit frustrated as I stared at Nightmare, awaiting his response with the others.

He was silent for a time, probably thinking up a response, before finally answering. "We must go through with it, I cannot back down now, even if this is a mistake. That would count as a forfeit, and everything would be thrown into imbalance. We can't have that, especially on Error's front. We will go through with it, there will be extensive training to prepare for the day, but we will survive this; if not all of us then at least most of us. We'll have plenty of allies, I will go check in with them myself and inform them of the situation. I suggest that everyone rest, we will start training tomorrow."

He looked at me with a sad smile, and then he was gone, leaving the rest of us in silence in the grand throne room. It didn't take long before the others had started talking again, but I couldn't quite make anything out. I was too busy in my own mind, trying to think of ways to help and also trying to calm myself. Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder, startling me out of my trance. I looked up to who had gotten my attention, feeling surprised to see it was Error.

"Y-Y/n?" He was glitching a bit more than usual, so I was careful not to touch him back, as much as I wanted to give him a hug.

I noticed the others looking towards me as well, a mixture of surprise and worry. I didn't want to worry them, I've done enough of that for a lifetime.

I gave them all a reassuring smile, "I'm alright. Why don't we all go to bed, like Nightmare said?"

I started walking back to my room, my smile fading as more nervousness overcame me. I was too nervous to sleep, so when I got to my room, I went to my books instead.

~~~~

"We need them on our side, Dream! Especially with this upcoming battle, we'd have a great advantage!"

I sat there, making plans to contact allies as I listened to Ink, taking his ideas into consideration. "But why Ink? You haven't yet given me a reason. I understand they has magic and such, but if you could explain more-"

Ink cut me off, seeming surprised, "I didn't? I could've sworn I did..." He proceeds to look at his scarf, looking at the various notes he has scribbled onto it. "Shoot, I did forget. Well, anyways, they're an elf Dream! One of the most powerful beings in the multiverse!"

The word elf rang a bell with me. I think I remember Nightmare having a friend who was an elf, until they disappeared one day. I wonder if that was why Nightmare seemed to be attached to Y/n. Actually, all of them seemed quite attached to them, they cared very deeply for them, it was a bit nice to see.

"Couldn't we just get an elf from any universe, Ink? Why must we have this specific one?"

"Dream, they're basically extinct in every universe, don't you know that?" Ink gave me an exasperated expression, though I could sense he would need to fill up on his "emotions" soon.

"Well, obviously not. ...How are they 'extinct'?"

"Well, in most universes at least, during the monster-human war, the elves went into hiding since they're known to be pacifists and wouldn't choose a side. I think there were some that fought in the year, but there were very few and they all died in it. A few years after the war, humans hunted for the elves and most of them died. The few that survived would split up and continue hiding, but most of them were found and killed eventually. I actually don't know how y/n is still alive."

"That's terrible, Y/n must feel so alone and-" I stopped when I realized how nonchalant Ink sounded talking about the genocide of a species, though I couldn't be too surprised, it's Ink.

"Oh yeah, I hadn't thought about that." I wanted to lecture him about caring for other people's emotions, but didn't feel like arguing with him today. "Anyways, we need them on our side, Dream. They're probably the last elf in the whole multiverse, not to mention one of the most powerful. Maybe you could get to them through a dream?"

I sighed, wishing the easy option would work, "I'm afraid not, nightmare must have some sort of spell or something over everyone in his castle. I had tried to communicate with Blue through his dreams, but it didn't work."

Ink gave a look of defeat and said how he would figure something out before disappearing through a portal. I continued with making plans, but I still just couldn't understand what made Blue choose to join Nightmare's team so suddenly. I also didn't understand why Y/n was on their team. They seemed innocent and kind, what would cause them to join the bad guys? Are Ink and I wrong? No, we couldn't be. Maybe Nightmare had just brainwashed them or something. I tried to believe the latter of the two, but something told me it was wrong. I also couldn't help but feel that something bad was coming at the thought of Y/n.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...

I keep finding out that I'm a pathological liar, even to myself. I am once again very sorry for such a late update; I did not plan on this at all and it's honestly just my fault since I've had plenty of chances to work on it. With that being said, this story is starting to come to a close. I plan on having two or three more chapters before this story is over. With that, there may be a possibility of me creating a sequel, but I cannot promise that. I will also not be promising when I will upload the next chapter, because knowing me, it won't happen. Thank you everyone for the constant support I've been getting, and I hope you all will enjoy the ending when the time comes! This has been a lot of fun to write (when I do write it) but I also can't wait for it to be over.