chapter 15

I walked toward her to sit next to her, feeling a mixture of disappointment and resignation, I paused mid-step as the king called me over to sit next to him. Suppressing any hint of frustration, I plastered a polite smile on my face and complied with the king's request.

As I settled into the seat beside the king, I couldn't help but steal a glance at Y/N as she looked at me, with disappointment written all over her face. 

My heart ached at the sight of Prince Ivan taking the seat next to her, knowing that I was unable to be by her side as I had hoped.

Despite the sinking feeling in my chest, I forced myself to maintain a composed exterior, not wanting to draw attention to the storm within me. Instead, I focused on engaging in polite conversation with the king and those around me, all the while stealing subtle glances in Y/N's direction.

King: Today, we all, who are important, are together. As you all know that my daughter and prince Ivan are getting married ten days from now. I will love to announce the date of their engagement, which is 3 days before their marriage.

As the king made the announcement, my heart sank like a stone in my chest. The words echoed in my mind, each one a painful reminder of the reality I was facing. 

 I glanced over at Y/N, feeling a mixture of sadness and frustration wash over me. Her expression remained composed, but I could see a flicker of uncertainty in her eyes, as if she, too, was grappling with the weight of the king's decree.

Y/N'S POV

Father:................ their engagement, which is 3 days before their marriage.

I tried to maintain my composure, but only I know that from inside I was disappointed. I glanced towards the direction of Mr. rude, who was already looking at me. Sadness and frustration written all over his face. I need to talk to my father about this. With the hope that maybe father will understand story of my side, i stood up from my seat.

" Father, can we talk for a minute?"

"We can talk after the breakfast, y/n."

"But I want to talk to you right now, father."

Whole room was full of silence for a minute when father broke it," we will take our leave. please enjoy the breakfast."

I made my way, following him, and taking last glance of Mr. rude before leaving.

IN KING'S CHAMBER

"Father, please," I pleaded, my voice trembling with emotion. "I cannot marry Prince Ivan. I do not love him."

The king's expression remained stern, unmoved by my distress. "The treaty has been signed," he reiterated, his tone final. "It is for the good of the kingdom."

 How could he expect me to sacrifice my happiness for the sake of political alliances? Did my own desires hold no weight in his eyes?

"But what about my happiness?" I begged, desperation creeping into my voice. "What about love?"

"Your duty to the kingdom comes before all else," he replied, his voice tinged with regret. "I know this is not what you want, but it is what must be done."

Feeling a sense of helplessness wash over me, I bowed my head in resignation, the weight of my father's expectations bearing down on me like a heavy burden. 

With a heavy heart, I nodded silently, accepting my fate with a sense of resignation. 

I came out of the chamber only to find Mr. rude standing there, his usual scowl softened slightly by the flicker of concern in his eyes. As our gazes met, a rush of emotions flooded through me—determination, and the undeniable pull towards him that I couldn't shake. 

But now what... How do I tell him that father didn't change his decision. It's heartbreaking enough for me to summit to my father but now if I told him about it, his reaction would break me more than anything.

"Are you alright?" he asked, his voice husky yet glimpse with an underlying warmth that only I seemed to notice.

I nodded, unable to trust my voice to speak the truth. Instead, I reached out and gently touched his hand, feeling the familiar roughness of his skin against mine.

As I touch his hand, I felt a surge of emotion, knowing that what I'm about to say will shatter the fragile peace.

"We'll find a way," I whispered, the words carry a weight that threatens to crush me. I searched his eyes, desperately hoping to find some solace, some reassurance that together, we can overcome this.

But as his gaze meets mine, I see the flicker of uncertainty, the shadow of doubt that crosses his features.

I take a deep breath, steeling yourself for what comes next. "But... my father... he hasn't changed his decision," I finally admit, the words were catching in my throat.

For a moment, there is silence between us, heavy and suffocating. And then, Mr. Rude's hand tightens around mine, his grip firm and reassuring.

"We'll find another way," he says, his voice steady despite the turmoil swirling inside us. "Together."

And as I stood there, hand in hand, facing the uncertainty of the future, I cling to his words like a lifeline, knowing that as long as we have each other, we can weather any storm.