House of Chaos/House of Rumors

Fabian, Nina and Max bolted into the class room, it was time for their French test and they were about to miss it.

"You're late." Mrs. Andrews told them.

"Sorry." They told her in unison. Fabian and Nina sat together while Max sat down next to Mara.

She frowned. "Have you seen Patricia on your travels?"

"No ma'am." Max frowned.

"Right, she'll be getting an F then." Mrs. Andrews sighed.

They all began their tests.

"Fabian, steady, steady, HOLD THE DOOR- OH!" Fabian and Max tumbled to the floor as they tried to enter the Anubis house with dozens of books in their arms.

He winced. "Well that didn't work."

"I'll say." Max grumbled.

That's when Fabian glanced at the stairs and froze. "No way..."

"What?" Max looked over and her eyes widened.

The pattern of the stairs was the same as Nina's locket.

~~~

The two entered the dining area to see Alfie and Jerome wrestling on the floor.

"I thought it was their night to clean up?" Fabian frowned.

Mara bit her lip. "No it's um, it's my night..." She walked away with some dishes.

With a shake of their heads, Fabian and Max approached Nina who was reading, but Patricia spoke up with a snide comment.

"Don't you do anything but work?"

Max scoffed. "It's almost like it's a school." Patricia all but fumed.

"Patricia get a life." Fabian snapped. "Can you come with us for a sec?" He asked Nina softly, she nodded and followed them out.

"Check it out." Max smiled. "The stairs railings are the Eye of Horus." Nina gasped.

Fabian spoke up. "We did a bit of digging on this place, and the Frobisher-Smythe's really had a thing about Egypt."

"So then...they hid the cylinders?" Nina asked. "But if it's their house, why hide anything?"

"Only one way to find out." Max shrugged.

~~~

They snuck up to the attic, Max was working on the player for the cylinders.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" Fabian asked.

Max shrugged. "No better than you would." She hit play.

A loud screaming noise rang out, startling them. Max slammed her hand down on the button to shut it up.

"Okay, not quite what I wanted, probably cause this one was blank? Let's try the other." Max told them.

"Wind it faster this time." Nina added.

Screaming continued to ring out.

"TURN IT OFF!" Nina exclaimed.

"I CAN'T!" Max cried.

Finally, Fabian yanked the horn off the player, shutting it off completely.

But then they heard a noise, and all froze.

"Oh my God." Nina paled.

They bolted for the hidden spot behind the wall and went inside, it closed just as they heard someone, likely Victor, enter the area and look around. Nina shivered uncontrollably so Fabian draped his jacket on her.