House of Kidnap/House of Cat-Nap

After hearing some wailing noises, the gang bolted from the cellar the moment Victor was gone, getting back to their rooms without trouble.

~~~

"A cat?" Max questioned in disbelief at breakfast the next day.

Amber nodded. "Mhm, an adorable black cat. We're keeping it in our room."

"And you think that was making the wailing noise last night?" Fabian asked.

"Mhm! Meowwwww, meowwwww." Amber mimicked the sound.

Just then, Victor came in, he seemed to be looking around for something. He paused and scowled. "Stop making that dreadful noise." And then before he left, he looked at them again. "Why were you making that noise exactly?"

"Vocal exercises." Amber told him simply.

He nodded stiffly and stormed out.

"It's obviously Victor's cat." Nina told them. "He kept it down in the cellar and it escaped, so he's looking for it."

"Speaking of which, I'm going to bring kitty some milk." Amber poured a bowl of milk and headed out of the room with it.

Patricia walked in. "So, though anymore about what I said?"

"Yeah, I'm interested in hearing what you have to say." Nina told her.

"In private." Patricia gave Fabian and Max a look.

Max frowned. "Sorry, but I can't leave. Whatever involves the locket involves me too."

Patricia went to protest but Nina spoke up. "It's true. Max's ring goes with it, they're supposed to be kept together." Max held up her hand to reveal the ruby ring as Fabian left to give them privacy.

At this, Patricia conceded. "Very well."

Patricia explained that she had a friend who was interested in items like theirs and that it could be worth thousands, if not millions of pounds and that she wanted to borrow the locket for confirmation. But what the two found most interesting is that apparently this friend of hers is an expert on things to do with Egypt.

Nina said she'd think about it, and headed upstairs to see Amber.

~~~

"You're out of your mind." Max told her as they walked through school.

Nina sighed. "Look Patricia can be mean but I don't think she wants to actually hurt us, and this guy might be able to give us information on the locket and the ring. Come on, tell me you aren't curious."

Fabian bit his lip. "I don't like it...it just feels like such a big risk..."

"How about this, we leave the ring and locket with you?" Nina suggested with a smile, looking at Max for confirmation.

Max sighed with a small smile. "Yeah, I guess that could work."

"R-Really?" Fabian looked incredibly moved. "Are you sure?"

Max chuckled, slipping the ring off her finger. "I wouldn't trust anyone else." She held it out to him.

Fabian tried to take it, but he yelped in pain and dropped it. Their eyes widened.

"I-It burns!" He exclaimed; eyes wide. "I-I can't touch it..."

Max picked it up and it felt fine. "I suppose...it'll only work for me?"

"What about the locket?" Nina asked, holding it out to him. Fabian hesitantly touched it and was surprised that he could take it just fine.

"Strange... I wonder what the difference is." Max frowned, placing the ring back on her finger.