House of Lights/House of Allegiance

The next morning, Alfie strutted into the dining room with the elixir.

"Well done!" Max beamed.

"What about the other thing?" Fabian asked.

Alfie frowned. "I couldn't find anything that looked like a demisphere." He went over to grab something to eat.

But as they thought about the riddle, Amber noticed Alfie seemed off. "You alright boo?"

He looked at them with a hurt expression. "Why did you guys leave me last night?"

"We didn't." Max frowned. "You told us on the walkie talkie you were safe in your room."

Alfie's eyes widened. "I..." He bolted off suddenly, confusing them.

~~~

Later at school, Amber and Max went up to Alfie happily. "Alfie we have great news." Amber grinned.

"We've been talking and we think it's time to officiate you as a true member of Sibuna." Max told him excitedly.

"Oh...great." Alfie mumbled.

Max frowned. "Is something wrong? We sort of thought you'd be more excited."

"N-No it is great, honest. I can't wait." He insisted.

Amber nodded. "After school in the woods. Bring something important to you."

He nodded.

~~~

"Now throw the hat into the fire." Amber told him. They had set up the fire.

Alfie groaned and reluctantly tossed in his favorite jester hat.

"Repeat after me." Amber covered one of her eyes. "I Alfie Lewis promise to protect the treasure of Anubis house and its secrets."

Alfie hesitated. "...I Alfie Lewis, promise to protect the treasure of Anubis house...and...its secrets."

"You're now an official member!" Amber cheered, making them all clap.

Max smiled softly. "And...now that you're one of us...Alfie do you remember um...when my nightmares were really bad and I had that bruising?"

"Yeah? You said someone hurt you." Alfie frowned at the memory.

Max looked down shyly. "It um...it was my great uncle, Rufus Zeno." Alfie's eyes widened. "He's after the elixir as well. He and Victor have been taking it for years, and they're trying to get eternal life, but they need the cup first. For some reason, as the Guardian, I'm important. Rufus said he...needs me." She swallowed hard. "Anyways um, the reason I got that bruising was because he chained me up in a warehouse the night of the play..."

Alfie hugged her tightly. "Oh Max..." He mumbled. "I won't let him hurt you again, and neither will any of these guys I'm sure." He smiled at the others, who grinned back. Max hugged him back tightly.

She feels like she just gained another brother.

~~~

Fabian, Amber, Patricia and Max walked into the living room to see...quite the display.

"Take me back before someone sees!" Mick finished doing a strange cheer with pompoms and froze when he saw them.

Max looked at him, quite disturbed. "What are you doing?"

"Good work Amber, got what you wanted, TOTAL HUMILIATION!" Mick fumed and stormed out. Mara was stunned to silence.

~~~

Later Fabian and Max walked into the kitchen to see Nina very focused on something. They shared a smirk before Fabian spoke.

"What are you doing Miss Martin?" He mimicked Victor, making her jump.

She turned to look at them as they cackled. "Very funny." She smirked. "I found the next riddle in the bottom of the chandelier, aka the Demisphere." She showed it to them.

Max took it and read it out loud. "Inside the core of my enemy's pride is where the final relic hides."

"Final relic." Fabian beamed.

Alfie walked in. "Hey guys, what's up?"

"Nina found another puzzle piece and a riddle." Max grinned.

"Great, out of curiosity, what did we do with that pesky elixir I brought back from the cellar?" He questioned.

Fabian's eyes narrowed. "It's under my mattress. Why?"

"Just wanted to know it was somewhere safe after all the trouble I went through to get it." He smiled nervously and bolted.

"So wait, how did you know where the demisphere was?" Max questioned.

Nina smiled nervously. "Um...I've kind of been hearing voices."

The two froze.

"You guys think I'm insane." Nina commented.

"No...I'm wondering if we're wrong about Joy being the Chosen One..." Fabian admitted softly, making Max's eyes widened.

Nina paled. "Fabian, don't say that! IT FREAKS ME OUT A LOT!" She ran out.

"...Wait but...but if Nina's...who am I supposed to protect!?" Max questioned in disbelief. Fabian sent her a helpless look.

~~~

The gang, minus Alfie, met up and realized the final riddle was talking about Corbierre. Nina and Fabian were going to go investigate later.

Maybe things were finally looking up.