╔══ஓ๑8๑ஓ══╗

Oliver tried to listen to Pamela as she rambled on about her awful dating history at the dinner table, it was the polite thing to do

Oliver tried to listen to Pamela as she rambled on about her awful dating history at the dinner table, it was the polite thing to do. It was growing harder to do so however when the atmosphere had an awkward tension to it but also the actions of the three across from him were so intriguing.

it was comical in a way watching Felix and Venetia compete for Belle's attention as she was stuck between them, either ignoring the obvious or feeding into he wasn't sure as he watched Belle slowly remove her fork from Venetia's mouth, the food remaining, a silent conversation held between their eyes and they both innocently smiled at one another. He watched Felix bite back a glare before obviously moving his hand to grip Belle under the table. A giggle left her red lips as she grabbed her glass of wine, her thick eyelashes fluttering up at Felix's stern stare. 

Was she their toy or were they hers? It hit him that maybe the darling Annabel Lee was not as innocent as he once believed. But what would be her cuckold in life? Her insatiable lust maybe? first the man in the woods and now possibly the Catton sister? 

But that left the question as to why Felix allowed the man in the woods but not his sister. 

Did Felix know the blonde man? No that's not possible he knew all of his little pauper followers. 

Did he not consider the man to be a threat is that why? If that was the case what would be the chances Felix would allow him to join?

Oliver shook his head turning back to Pamela who was unfortunately still talking. "I don't know, we met in rehab, so he was just so lovely at first, and then all of his business partners started, sort of, falling out of windows. you know."

"Right." Oliver nodded "Lucky escape." he awkwardly smiled peeking at Felix and Belle who were now watching them humored, their hands intertwined on the tabletop between them.

"mmm. I suppose so. But he spoke Russian all the time and it just sounded so romantic. And I don't know the Russian word for Whore, so I sort of thought it sounded like lovely poetry." She added, a sad smile on her face.

"shlyukha"(Whore) Belle spoke up before taking a bite of her scallop.

"Yes, that's it." Pamela nodded thankfully, ignoring Farleigh's snickers on her other side. She turned back to Oliver with a pout "Daddy always said I'd end up at the bottom of the Thames."

"So far so good." Oliver awkwardly chuckled, as Venetia chuckled to herself.

Pamela sighed "I don't know what I'd do without Elspeth. She really saved me."

"Don't bang on about it, Pamela, darling." Elspeth cut in rather coldly "You know we're delighted to have you for however long it is you mean to stay." giving her a strained but quick smile before taking a sip of her white wine.

"Forever?" Farleigh drawled with faux inquisitiveness.

"Oh, no. I think I might have erm, found somewhere," she answered.

"Oh, well done, darling." Elsbeth praised

"Oh, good." Sir James spoke for the first time since they sat down, his face showing just how relieved he was the overstayed guest would finally be leaving.

"Yeah, my cousin..." Pamela stuttered caught off guard by their sudden excitement "My cousin has a flat."

"Oh, that'll suit you very well, a nice little flat," Elspeth exclaimed.

 "It's more of a.. more of a bedsit really," Pamela added slightly disappointed.

"I loved living in a bedsit in my 20s. It is so freeing to live all in one room. and much less cleaning to do." Sir James nodded and hummed in agreement with his wife. The eyes of the young adults went back and forth as the air began to grow more tense by the second. "Oh, but it'll be terrible when you're gone. How will I cope?" Elspeth pouted.

Pamela shifted in her seat hopefully "Well I could actually stay for a little bit longer." she said looking around the table.

"No." Sir James said simply.

"Oh, no darling, no. You must be desperate to be rid of us and find your own place. I quite understand." Elspeth said sternly, her breath shuddering in the quiet that followed before turning from a sullen Pamela and began questioning Felix and Belle about the food.

Oliver looked around the room as everyone, including the staff, just ignored Pamela as if she didn't exist or that she was breaking inside. 

・❥・

"Sorry you must be cold" Oliver shyly said taking the blanket from his shoulders and awkwardly draping it over Venetia's shoulders as she chuckled.

"I'm cold-blooded. We're all cold-blooded, haven't you noticed?" she smirked, looking Oliver's cold body up and down as he shivered in his just his boxers.

"You're not cold-blooded, neither is Belle. Your family is so kind to me," he replied, wrapping his arms around himself, the night air raising goosebumps all over his body.

"So sweet." Venetia chuckled softly, something clicking behind her eyes. "I see why Felix likes you. why Belle does as well," she whispered her tongue running along the bottom of her teeth as she smiled. "You're sooo.." she laughed.

"So what?" Oliver pressed wanting to know what Belle had told the girl.

Venetia didn't answer only giggled to herself as she looked Oliver up and down like he would be her next meal. "Belle was right, you will certainly be more fun than last year's one." She smirked, taking a drag of cig. "Night" she sang as she left him standing there in the cold.

What the fuck did that mean?