╔══ஓ๑17๑ஓ══╗

The dining room was eerie and somber, the cutlery scraping along the porcelain plates as the food was pushed around, Belle was sat next to Oliver, the latter taking worried glances at the girl, her face blank, eyes dead, her body slumped in her chair

The dining room was eerie and somber, the cutlery scraping along the porcelain plates as the food was pushed around, Belle was sat next to Oliver, the latter taking worried glances at the girl, her face blank, eyes dead, her body slumped in her chair. she hadn't moved an inch since she was placed there, her head not turning away from the windows, the empty chair just across from her, not attempting to eat.

And Venetia was fairing no different, indistinct mumbles falling from her lips as she stared at her untouched food. 

Farleigh flinched at the sudden sound of the door opening as Duncan entered the room. "What is it Duncan," Elspeth asked upon noticing him looking towards her.

"It's the police, your ladyship. They're having trouble." He tried to delicately explain.

"What kind of trouble?" She asked.

"They keep getting lost in the maze." He added, his voice strained.

Farleigh scoffed, wiping a tear away. Duncan looked around unsure before leaning down to Sir James. "May I send one of the gardeners to assist them, sir?" he whispered.

"Fine." James spits, waving him off.

Elspeth watched Duncan leave, her eyelashes fluttering for a moment in thought before turning towards Oliver. "Oliver darling, why don't you tell us about last night?"

Oliver looked around unsure before looking back to Elspeth "Last night?"

mmm, Elspeth hummed "Did you have a lovely time?"

"Yeah, it was er, wonderful. thank you." he forcefully smiled.

"Oh, good. I think it was a hit. Don't you darling?" Elspeth asked her husband with a forced smile of her own.

"Oh, yes, a triumph." He smiled back.

"Yes. the house looked good didn't it?" She carried on, clinging tightly to her mask.

"Beautiful." 

"And that cake was.." Oliver joined, trying to find the words to fit the very off situation.

"Oh, did you like it?" Elspeth cheered, peeking at Belle who gagged a little.

"mm-hmm," Oliver nodded, watching as a footman rushed over to Belle to fill her teacup. 

"I never had any in the end. that's always the way, isn't it? you end up running around so much you miss the actual party." her forced smile stayed wide as she watched Duncan enter the room again, her breathing picking up.

"What now?" James sighed.

"May I be permitted to close the curtains, sir? The coroners outside and may need to pass the window with.." He whispered, though, in the quiet room, everyone could hear.

"Yes, thank you. close them." He nodded.

"I don't normally like chocolate cake." Oliver tried to keep the conversation going.

"Yes, it can be cloying, can't it?" Elspeth joined.

Belle flinched as Duncan and the servers tried to close the curtains quickly, her body starting to shake, her lip wobbling. 

"Mm, but last night it was so light." Oliver's voice wavered as he reached over and pulled Belle's seat closer to himself. On his other side, Venetia began to slowly pour herself another glass of red wine.

"Yes, Lynn has always been an expert with cakes. yes, cold hands, apparently. you have to have cold hands." she explained, her voice stuttering as she watched the wine begin to pour over the rim of Venetia's glass.

"Mm-hmm, I've heard." Oliver nodded, forcing Belle's face into the crook of his neck just as the room was cast into a red darkness. 

The screeching of wheels just outside the window filled the room, a subtle horrid smell drifting into the room as the sound grew quiet as it passed. Belle harshly gagged before rushing out of the room. Elspeth shoved her face into her napkin as she also gagged, wine poured down the front of Venetia's shirt as she sloppily drank. Farleigh Openly sobbed and Sir James closed his eyes while plugging his ears.

The only one not having a profound reaction was Oliver, his face was a blank slate, unreadable. 

The situation only escalated resulting in Farleigh being kicked out. again.

・❥・

The funeral was just as cold as the days that followed, tears long since dried. the inhabitants of the house slowly turning into shells of themselves. Oliver stood on the other side of the pond, observing the little family as they gathered to throw a stone for Felix. Rain pattering against their umbrellas.

 The roles were now reversed. It was not Annabel Lee who had perished and resided by the sea, but her lover. A part of her was lost, but Oliver hoped it was only temporary.

His fingers combed through her blonde hair, dirt still beneath his nails. 

He would find a way to consume her heart. grief was only a temporary feeling.

Shhh he cooed when she adjusted in her sleep, her body shifting closer to his beneath the sheets.

Annabel Lee and Oliver Quick.

that's all there was now. 

Maybe just maybe things would start to look up Oliver thought, that was of course till Venetia was found in the tub, the water a deep shade of crimson, and in the dim light, a single razor blade glittered ominously.

╚══ஓ๑♡๑ஓ══╝