Chapter 5

They made their way into the car and sat down for the ride ahead.

The strong family had hired a fleet to transport everyone from their hotel to the venues. Her parents were staying near Abigail's house since she was from Hong Kong, as was Duncan. Adrian had decided to stay on the other side of the island near his favorite dim sum place and ate every available meal there.

As the car moved along the harbor illuminated by all the neon signs on its way to the venue on the other island, she remembered

"Oh, can you help me with this?" She asked and handed Arron a small mirror.

"Uh, sure, what do you want me to do?" he replied.

"Just hold it like this," she showed him, and he kept it still so she could look at her reflection.

She then took out her lip gloss from the small bag and started applying it to her lips.

Finishing up, she looked up at his face, closed the gloss bottle, and finished with a small pout to check it in the mirror.

"Thank you," she said, and he nodded.

Turning away towards the window, her last glance at his fist tightly clenched placed in his lap, she resisted the urge to laugh.

Enough pulling; it was time to push.

xxxxx

As soon as she got out of the car, she didn't even spare him a glance for the rest of the evening.

She enjoyed the party in full enthusiasm, dancing with everyone and drinking away loads of champagne. Duncan and Abigail looked stunning and were constantly looking at each other as if no one else existed.

As she sat to rest her feet for some time, a waiter brought her some hors d'oeuvres. She snacked on them and finished her glass of wine.

"Don't you think that's enough drinks for the night?" She heard it from behind her.

She turned around to see the source of the voice and spotted Arron sipping on a glass of whiskey.

"Oh, it's you," she said and turned around.

She noticed a tall, beautiful man approaching her and asked her to dance with him.

"Oh, why thank you!" She smiled brightly at him and got up before glancing behind and waving her hand at him.

She then proceeded to dance with the newcomer, Kevin, for a couple of songs.

Feeling herself grow tired and her mind becoming pretty jumbled, she headed back to the table.

——

"Hey man, do you mind taking her back? She's utterly wasted." Adrian approached Arron as he observed Emelia.

"Sure," Aaron replied, and he headed over to where she sat.

"Drunk enough, are you?" He asked her curiously.

She looked up at him, smiled, and mumbled, "Mmmhmmm."

"Come on, let's get you to bed," he sighed at the task ahead.

"No! I don't want to go to your bedd!" She squealed and giggled.

"Fuck!" Aaron uttered under his breath as the image of her sprawled on his bed flashed in his head.

"Okay, you need some water," and he motioned to a passing waiter.

After forcing her to sober up with some water, he finally dragged her to the car.

Once in the car, she cozied up next to him, laid her head on his shoulder, closed her eyes, and fell asleep.

The slight buzz he had from the drinks vanished as she wriggled closer to him, and he dropped his arm around her waist and pulled her close.

xxxxxxx

Sudden, bright lights in her eyes woke her up. She was so cozy a minute ago about what was going on.

She realized as she blinked that Arron had his flash light on and was trying to wake her. She shielded her eyes and stepped out of the vehicle.

The cobblestone made it hard for her to walk with her high heels, and she almost stumbled before Arron grabbed her by the waist again.

"Here, hold on to me," he said, and he guided her to their rooms.

He helped her get inside her room and made her drink some more water.

Satisfied that she looked slightly more sober, he decided to leave her room.

The sight of her sitting on her bed, smiling at him, almost made him stop, but he lingered at the door before making up his mind and leaving.