Chapter 21

Holy hell Arron thought as he heard Emelia mutter wow and grab his extended hands. When she smiled at him like that, his heart skipped a beat. As she stood up, she tripped. He immediately wrapped his hands around her and steadied her.

Oh, she won't be able to walk properly, he thought, but he guided her behind the rest of his company as they walked out.

Duncan and Abigail decided to split in the two cars now awaiting them. Duncan got in with Adrian and Clara. Meanwhile, Abigail decided on Emelia based on her state of drunkenness.

Arron helped Emelia get into the car, and she immediately curled up into his chest. Ah fuck, he muttered under his breath with the warm contact. Always up to her catlike tendencies.

Abigail was observing them. "So did you both finally clear stuff out?" she asked him softly.

"Wait, what do you know?" He was shocked at this sudden question.

"Everyone knows except you two; honestly, how hard is it to get on with it?" She murmured nonchalantly and turned to watch the streets pass by.

Arron looked down at Em and tucked a strand of hair to look at her face. She was sleeping. He was immediately hit with a memory of a similar situation from long ago.

He watched her with a smile on his face.

They reached the house in some time, and he got down first. Abigail came around to help him. However, Emelia was passed out. No amount of shaking would wake her.

He decided to just pick her up. He lifted her and headed inside the house.

Abigail helped him open the door to her room. He had climbed three flights of stairs with her in his arms. But somehow, the close contact elevated the strain he would have felt lifting her for this long.

Abigail left to fetch some lemon water, and he laid Emelia down. He then carefully removed her boots, his alcohol buzz completely gone, and placed them by the bedside. He looked at her, curled up in bed. Feeling a breeze, she moved around, and her eyes opened.

———

She looked up and saw him. His face was illuminated by a soft glow from the tableside lamp. He was so beautiful. She sat up, and he immediately came and sat down on the bed by her side.

"Hey, hey, you're okay, you're home," he said, slowly stroked her arms. She just continued staring at him with heavy-lidded eyes and suddenly lifted her hands and touched his face.

"So hot. Wow," she repeated a few times, and then brought her face forward to graze her lips against her cheek.

Arron groaned at that and moved away from her. The urge to kiss her was taking over his thought process. But she was absolutely plastered. So he clicked his tongue, and thankfully, Abigail entered at that moment with water.

They both helped her drink, laid her back down in bed, and pulled up the covers. She purred and fell back asleep.

Abigail thanked him, and he left.

He needed a long, cold shower.

xxxxxx

Emelia woke up with a nasty hangover. She groaned when she saw she was still dressed in her clothes from last night, and her make-up was now smudged all over her face.

She got up, drank a gallon of water, and went to take a warm bath.

She decided to take a sick day at work.

She headed to the kitchen to grab some breakfast when she spotted her entire family around the kitchen island.

Good morning, she tried to say, but her voice was also gone.