Chapter 7

They hadn't had a conversation on their way back. Something in the air made her feel heavy.

Under his sudden gaze, Emelia felt her face flush.

"Um, thank you! I think it's good now."

Oh, this was going to be easy. Emelia knew Arron wouldn't take a chance. She was his best friend's sister, and she was sure he wouldn't cross that boundary.

This was precisely why she had devised a plan to almost seduce him but leave him cold. Exactly the way he often left her infuriated.

He got up and started walking away. When they reached their respective room doors, Emelia piped up.

"Hey, since it's still not too late, you want to grab a glass of wine. I have this great merlot that I'm sure you'll enjoy." She asked him timidly. It was time for the sinker part of the plan.

Arron watched her for a couple of seconds and sighed concededly.

"Okay, we can do that," he murmured, entering her room behind her.

The clicking of the door was the only sound in the room as it locked.

Emelia kicked off her heels and walked over to the counter to pull off the wine glasses. She then pulled out the chilled bottle of wine from the minibar and poured them a glass each.

She picked up the glasses, walked over to the side where Arron was sitting, and handed him a glass. She then kicked up her feet on the ottoman in front of her.

Arron took a sip of the wine and was surprised at how delicious it was.

"This is really good," he said, looking at her sitting on the couch diagonally opposite him with her head thrown back and one of her legs exposed in front of her.

"Mmhmm," she whispered without looking at him with her eyes closed.

They drank their wine in silence when he said, "I'm going to head back. Thanks for the wine," he said, standing up.

At that, she got up, walked near him, and said,

"Thanks for coming. I know it means a lot to Adrian and my parents too." She said it politely.

Standing near him, she noticed a spot of white smudge on his jaw.

"Oh, you've got something on your face," she said, raising her thumb to her mouth to moisten it to remove the smudge.

Suddenly she felt her arm be grabbed and felt herself be pushed softly to the wall behind her.

She looked up, realized his face was dangerously close to hers, and mumbled

"What are you doing?" While trembling slightly.

He brought his chest closer to hers and grabbed her other hand, which had come to rest on his chest just beneath his shoulder.

Without giving her a response, he brought both her arms up above her head on the wall and grabbed it in one of his hands.

"You don't think I didn't realize what you've been doing since last night?" He asked her slyly while bringing his other hand down to grab her chin softly and raise it so she was looking at him.

Realizing that she was caught, she refused to back down at his tone. She tried to wriggle herself free, feeling the tension between them grow hotter and heavier. But he was stronger than her. Even with her 5'9 height, he towered over her. She'd already had a glimpse of his toned and muscular body and gave up struggling.

Feeling her give in, he slowly dipped her head down to the side of her neck, brought the hand he had on her chin, and rested it on her waist.

He then proceeded to hover his mouth barely an inch away from her long neck.

Feeling himself grow hotter, he paused and closed his eyes. Making up his mind that he'd regret going further, he gave up. He wanted to rip her clothes off and take her right there, but his resolve was stronger than his lust.

He let go of her hands and turned around with a huffed grunt.

He started walking towards the door when he heard a whispered "chicken," and his resolve cracked.

———-

For a minute, she anticipated his kiss. He was so close. Emelia felt herself get wetter the closer his face was to her neck. Her brain stopped working. It was as if her body was reacting without her control.

Suddenly, he let go of her hands and turned around. With her mind clearing and feeling victorious, she realized she'd won.

"Chicken," she whispered under her breath, and she froze when she realized he'd heard her.