Chapter 23: Not Just Your Daughter But A Family

'Widen'

"?!" (Duchess Lilith and Duke Adalwen)

Their eyes widened in surprise but what they were in for was more unexpected.

"I should have done this a long time ago, there is no excuse for me to not do so before" (Theon, said)

"I have not thanked the people who extended their hand during the time I needed it and after my family left" (Theon, said)

"You've put up with an unresponsive small child, a complicated teenage boy, and a man who avoided everything and everyone including the people who took care of me and your daughter's love" (Theon, said)

"I apologize for that too. I shouldn't have pushed the persons who truly cared for me " (Theon, said)

He said with a sincere expression but it was obvious to them that he was really trying to express his feelings something that was hard for him to do.

That along went far telling ways.

He was thanking them who took care of him as a child without any sense of debt and for the Duke and Leonardo who had his back even on the battlefield.

And of course Daphne's sincerity.

He was apologizing and thanking them.

He took a pause with a little hesitance as if he was unsure if he could say those words but he continued.

"..." (Duke Adalwen and Duchess Lilith)

They said nothing only remained silent and observant yet still with unexpected eyes.

"I...I always considered you as my second family, but I felt as I could not fit in" (Theon, said)

'Close'

He closed his eyes gently as he added on.

"I thought there was no place for me, and when your Daughter got engaged to the Crown Prince I had lost the person I loved the most, and I lost my second family" (Theon, said)

"I pushed the Denzel family away on purpose, it was the best to not expect..." (Theon, said)

'Open'

His eyes opened as his mouth did to say something but Duke Adalwen's voice sounded with a serious expression...

"How much do you love my daughter?" (Duke Adalwen, asked)

That question could be a two-edged sword but there was a specific answer he was looking for.

It was an answer that would demonstrate if Theon was willing to go far enough for Daphne, Theon knew that too.

"Enough to become Emperor" (Theon, said)

He said with a firm expression and no hesitance.

'Smile'

Duke Adalwen's lips raised in a satisfied side smile.

Then placed his right hand on his chin as if he was impressed.

He knew how much Theon heated to be involved with the throne.

Running for the crown was something that would never cross Theon.

But if he was willing to stay and run for the throne not only because he was a better fit which everyone knew even Duke Adalwen but because he wanted his daughter to remain in the capital and not far in the North.

"I have to say that your answer had imp-ouch!" (Duke Adalwen, said)

'Smack'

But before he could finish the Duchess had smacked his hand as to reprehend him looking at him displeased.