17 | BREE

We all chuckled as we walked down to the battle field where my mates stood in front of a fire of dead newborns.

My family had already left after hearing of the Volturi arrival.

"How long?" Edward asks Alice.

"A few minutes, maybe ten?" She replies.

"The pack needs to leave. The Volturi won't honour a truce with the werewolves" Carlisle states.

I turn to see Jake trotting out of the woods to call Leah back. But as she was about to go, she turns to see a newborn.

Leah snarls and charges at it.

"Leah don't!" I shout.

Jacob runs over and prys the newborn off of Leah. I run up to Leah and comfort her as she breathes heavily.

Next thing I hear is a snap and I turn to see Jacob on the ground and screaming.

"Oh fuck" I sigh and get up to see what was going on.

The wolves then come over, shifted back into their human form.

"Jacob, you idiot, I had it!" Leah shouts.

"Leah!" Sam scolds.

"We got to get him somewhere safe" Edward states. "We're not going to win a fight with the Volturi"

"We'll take him back to Billy's place" Sam nods. "I'll be there as soon as I can" Carlisle nods.

"Bye Jake" I whisper as the boys pick him up and the pack disappears into the woods.

"They're coming!" Alice shouts.

I phase back and we all stand, waiting for their arrival.

Four figures then appear. Three of them I recognise.

They all stop and remove their hoods.

I knew them. Demetri, Alec, Jane and Felix. I've seen em around.

"Impressive, I've never seen a coven survive this much of.. a challenge" Jane says in her meek voice.

"We were lucky" Carlisle nods.

"That I can see" Jane looks to me and I look down, not wanting to meet her gaze.

"It appears we have missed an entertaining fight" Alec smirks.

"Yes.. it's not often we are rendered unnecessary" Jane states.

"If you had arrived a half hour ago you would've fulfilled your purpose" Edward states.

"Pity" She says. "You missed one"

I turn to the newborn girl I hadn't noticed. She was so young, 14 at least.

"We offered her an asylum in exchange for her surrender" Carlisle explains.

"That wasn't yours to offer" Jane says and I look to her like she's crazy.

Is this really the type of people that rule the vampire world?

"Why did you come?" Jane asks the girl who soon erupts into scream of terror. "Who created you?"

I clutch onto Emmett as I look to the girl in sympathy.

"You don't need to do that, she'll tell you anything you need to know" Esme states and Jane stops.

"I know"

"I don't know! Lauren wouldn't tell us, she said our thoughts weren't safe" the girl replies.

"Her name was Victoria, perhaps you knew her" Edward says.

"Edward, if the Volturi had knowledge of Victoria, they would've stopped her. Isn't that right Jane?" Carlisle asks.