Chapter 1 ~ 2 Years Ago

My boyfriend, Hunter Pierce, had been with me since I was eighteen. Almost 3 years later, I found out I was pregnant. Hunter left me and I found out he was cheating on me with his friend's sister. So I went through my pregnancy alone and delivered a baby by myself. My mom and dad supported me through it all. They don't know anything about Hunter. They just know he left me to raise a baby alone. Wyatt Raine Lynn. She doesn't understand anything about her dad. I managed to finish college early and I work at home. We moved to Colgate after she turned one. Today however, my best friend promised to watch her. Y loves her Aunt Addi. Addi watches her all the time or spends the night. I got a job to watch the practice of the hockey team for a magazine. The Winston Warriors is Winston University's boys hockey team. The co-captain of the team is the one boy I thought about in high school, Ryder Osher. He's six foot five and used to be hot. Once I got to the arena, I went up to the seats. I found one far enough from the ice that no one would see me. I got my laptop out and post it's. The team entered and Coach Meyers hasn't changed. He still has a beard and wears that hat. His stare makes you freeze when his eyes lock yours. He is Addie's dad. I've known him since sophomore year of high school. He helped me through college and loves Y alot. The boys did drills and kept shooting pucks into the net. I worked on the article and managed to finish most of it. I put my laptop, wallet, water bottle, and paper in my bag. I had a missed call from Addie. I tried calling her twice and she didn't answer. Wyatt has type 1 diabetes so someone has to always watch her. I have type 2 diabetes which is quite different. Addie finally called me back. "Hey babe, Y isn't napping. I tried everything and checked her glucose. She keeps telling me she wants boha. Do you know what that is by chance ?" Addie asked and I told her it's a pink blanket. I told her where it was and she hung up. I put my backpack on and turned my airpods off. Coach Meyers saw me so I went down to the rink. "It's been a while Lynn. How have you been and how's Y doing ?" Coach Meyers asked. I told him Y is good and going through her toddler stage. He smiled and asked how I have been. "I'm okay. Y doesn't sleep through the night and my parents moved but I'm okay" I told Coach and he looked at me. "Listen Lynn, I've known ya for a while. You need something. I'm a call away alright." Coach said and I told him ok. We hugged and he opened the door for me. I went up the stairs and my phone beeped. I thought it was Addie so I pulled my phone out of my bag. I ran into someone and out of all people it was Ryder. I hoped he didn't notice me. Since high school my hair, body, and looks have changed. I have more freckles and longer wavy hair. Since I had Y my grew. I used to weigh 110 but I weigh around 180 now. I picked up my phone and told him I was sorry. He told me it was okay so I walked away. "You know freckles, hi goes a long way. Instead of running into a guy" Ryder said and he knew it was me. I turned around and he looked at me. Up and Down. "You've changed since high school" he said and I told he has too. He had a new haircut and way more muscle. My phone beeped so I checked it again. I put it in my bag and Ryder looked at me. "Wanna catch up or you have places to be ?" Ryder asked and I told him I was free. We went to the lobby and I sat in a chair. Ryder sat next to me and I took my bag off. "So what's changed with you since high school ? Are you still with Pierce ?" Ryder asked. I couldn't tell him about Y right now. So I told him everythings that happened. I finished college, moved out of my parents house, got a job with online publishing, and broke up with Hunter. I also told him the reason why I broke up with Hunter. I asked him what's changed and he raised his eyebrow. Even in highschool he did that when he had to think about something. "Let's see. Got a full athletic scholarship here, made it to nationals and got gold, my sister traveled abroad, my mom opened a restaurant, and moved here" Ryder said. We talked for another hour and Addie had something tonight. I promised her I'd be home by five. I told Ryder I had to go and he looked at me. "You're not telling me why, damn I'm shocked" Ryder said and he made me smile. We walked out to our cars and I drove home. I unlocked the door and Addie looked up from the tv. "Hey, you're finally home. I was getting worried, Y's still asleep. What made you stay later ?" Addie asked. I told her I ran into Ryder and we talked. "Girl, what ?" she said and I told her he's on the hockey team. Addie forgot since she never watches hockey. Her thing is she isn't going to freeze to death in a rink while boys fight for a puck. Even though she thinks hockey players are hot. "My mom messaged me saying I'm supposed to be at home by six. She has a huge announcement to make. I should go, I left Y's things on the counter. I'll call ya later" Addie said and I told her bye. Y has been sleeping since three so she can nap until five. I worked on the article and sent it to the publisher of the magazine.

WINSTON WARRIORS - More Than Hockey Players Wanting Victory

Written By Rory G Lynn

The hockey team at Winston University has had numerous wins throughout the years. Last year they became state champions. The university alumni are honored that the boys are making this legacy. Coach Meyers is part of the past alumni. He was a left wing on the Warriors team. Coach Meyers is now the head coach of the boys hockey team. The Warriors had an outstanding number of wins last season. Many fans wonder if it's the team or good coaching. Coach Meyers has the boys run tons of drills. Some to strengthen their bond and most to increase their skills. These boys don't fight over who's best. They fight against the other team. Even if they don't win they have teammates who support them. The co-captains Ryder Osher & Will Donelly don't fight over who's better. They use the other's weaknesses to help them become stronger. Most college teams focus on three things. The shots made per game, the number of goals, and total victories. The boys at Winston University focus on their team and the individuals. Their practices work on everything. So each one of the players became better. When the defensemen fail to stop a pass, the coach works on that with the team. Even the players who are amazing at stopping passes improve even more. I spoke with Coach Meyers and he mentioned that the wins are better as a team. "If one player shoots all the goals it isn't a team victory. If two or three guys pass the puck and get a goal. That's the kind of victory we celebrate." This shows how much Coach Meyers values teamwork. It's not about how many goals a person makes, it's about how many wins the team gets together. This season there are two new players on the Warriors. Mason Macoy and Garrett Thomas. They are freshmen and Coach Meyers can't wait to have more players. The boys made it to the championship game last year. If they pick up right where they left off they'll have a chance to be state champions again this year. Hockey is a sport to most of us. But to these boys it's their lifestyle. If you're available, go to a game and see how their practices pay off.