Chapter 2 ~ You Only Get One Second Chance

Ryder

The season started two weeks ago. We had our first game and won it. It was my first game on the team. I transferred from Beckett University. I knew Freckles moved here a year or so ago. My sister knows everything about people that used to or still do live in our town. Every time I go home she tells me so much gossip. I don't mind it because it's usually stuff I can zone out of. But the time she mentioned Freckles I couldn't get her out of my head. Her name made me delusional. 5 months later, I saw her in the stands at the arena. She watched my practice and did whatever she was doing. After we got to the locker room, I hadn't gotten out of there so fast. I showered and threw clothes on. I had to see her before she left. I got up the stairs and took a break. She eventually came up and ran into me. I hadn't seen her in over four years. God how did she grow up so god damn gorgeous. I talked to her in the lobby for over an hour. We walked to our cars but I forgot my phone in the lobby. I went back to grab it. Coach Meyers was there.I told him hey and he looked at me. "Lynn's like a daughter to me. She's been through hell, she isn't like the girls here. She's better you better treat her right son" Coach said and I nodded. I told him I missed my chance once I'm not missing out again. Coach patted my shoulder and left. I grabbed my phone and drove to my parent's. It's Monday, which is my mom's favorite night. She cooks random dishes that use leftovers. My sister talks about every damn thing from school and the town. "Ry you're finally here" Mom said and she hugged me. Dad was busy watching sports and my sister was upstairs. "Oh my god Ryder you better tell me every flipping detail" Taylor said. I asked her about what and she told me, Rory. "You saw her after practice and talked for over an hour," Taylor said. My mom heard and had to listen. I told Taylor I ran into Rory and caught up with her. Taylor was mad and stormed to the kitchen. "You know Ryder, I'm a 13 year old girl. You know I need to know everything" Taylor said and my mom gave her a roll. Taylor dropped that and dad finally came out. We ate and I left around seven. I went back to my dorm and shut the door. I live with Garrett, Cole, and Zayden. We all have our own room and bathroom.I needed a shower because I stunk. I got to sleep and woke up at 4:30. I threw sweats on and got sneakers. I ran over a mile and got my workout done with.Freckles hasn't left my head since last night. I didn't shower since we have early morning practice today. I waited for the guys and Cole drove us to the arena. We got our pads on and skates laced up. Coach Meyers had us do a lap before we talked. We did five drills and worked on our stick work. "Nicely done boys. Keep this going we'll be back at the playoffs in no time" Coach said and we all went to the locker room. I showered and threw clothes on. I went up the stairs and Freckles was talking to the owner. I waited for her to finish and she saw me. "Hey" she said and I told her wow. She smiled and looked at me. I asked if she had plans for tonight and she told me no. I asked her if she wanted to go out with me. "Do you mean like friends or more" she asked and I told her whatever she wanted. I dropped my gear since it was rotten. She looked at me and told me sorry. "You only get a second chance once, freckles. Come on, I missed my chance once. You really gonna make me try for a third ?" I told her and Freckles stepped towards me. Her lips touched mine. I pulled her waist to mine and made the kiss deeper. We both pulled away and I looked at her. "More than friend's it is, I'll text you" I told her and she smiled. Freckles left and I went to my dorm. I put my gear in the corner and went to class. I had three classes and a test this week. Damn college here is different from Beckett University. There's at least ten papers due per week plus projects and tests. The professors recommend notes but my notes look like a freakin first grader. I've never taken good notes except for hockey. I manage to read messy symbols but words are not the same. The library is too silent to focus so I lounge in the arena's lobby. There's sound from the arena's so it's not silent. I still had to come up with a date for tonight. After Freckles kissed me, my mind was nothing. She hates bars so that's out. There's one thing I knew she loved doing. It costs like twenty to rent the ice for an hour. I got the idea for our date. I have no clue how long dates are supposed to last. I went out with a girl a year ago or so and that wasn't like Freckles. That stupid Pierce was an idiot when freckles met him. She didn't know he got in fights or thrown out of places. She saw the good in him but he left. Freckles didn't tell me why. She they broke up then she found out he cheated. So it wasn't that he cheated. I haven't had a relationship in a while. In high school I dated a couple of girls. Maybe five. Most of the time I did hockey or had to stay home. Iz and I have been friends since fourth grade. We used to text before she got with Pierce. That jerk broke her according to Coach but I don't know how. The rest of the morning, I had class. Then a lecture and I had to do the extra credit to grow my grade. The teacher recommended the extra credit instead of extra time after class. He knew I do hockey and usually practice/exercise after school. I've got like 70 in his class but he wants me to achieve an 80. Coach has no clue how bad my note taking is. If he did, I'd be benched for the season. After I finished the work and studying, I got ready for tonight. I showered and found an outfit to wear. I had extra time so I shaved and studied for that test. Coach has to see our grades to make sure we qualify to play in our game on Friday. Anyone with a grade below 65 is benched. A couple guys are at 66 so they put all effort into those classes. There aren't classes on Friday so Thursday is the day your work is graded. Coach goes to each professor and makes sure his players are passing. If you don't get above the 60's range, Coach isn't satisfied. He has a long conversation about time management and maturing. He talks to us all as a group and sometimes as individuals. He has the rest of the team run drills while he talks. Rarely Coach let the assistant coach give us orders. The assistant coach is only there for games. Which means Coach is the only one during practice. Anyways I decided to double check with freckles.

Smart One - Hey Freckles, I'll pick you up around seven. If that's good

Freckles - Seven's good. Are we having dinner or not ?

Smart One- I have something else planned don't you worry freckles

Freckles - I'll send you my address, smart one