Chapter 8 - Keep Your Reputation Clean

Ryder

It took all my fucking strength not to find that idiot and pound him into the ground. Freckle's ex, Hunter Pierce. That jackass wants to hurt her for leaving him. He broke Wyatt's locked door down. If he kicked Wy that hard I'd fucking leave nothing left of him. I had practice and got there on time. Coach had us run two miles in the arena. Upstairs, along the ice, around the seats, through the lobby, and around the building. We all had water and got geared up. We skated a lap and Coach had us work on game plays. "Watson, use your head not just your stick" Coach yelled at Jeff. "Osher nice puck work" Coach said. I was fucking shocked he complimented me. Coach rarely gave me or Donelly compliments. After an hour, we all got off the ice. I showered and threw clothes on. I got a text from my mom.

Mom - Hey Ry, Tay has no school today. If you and Rory are free you could stop by quick

Ryder - I'll check with her and Wy

Mom - Who's Wy ?

Ryder - I know you'll overreact but Rory's daughter

Mom - Oh well, I hope we see you three

My mom overreacts about anyone I date. She seems fine this time. I called Freckles and she told me she was free. I told her I'd be over soon and she hung up. I stopped at my room for breakfast and dropped my practice stuff off. I got to Freckle's apartment and knocked on the door. "Hey Freckles, you miss me much ?" I asked and she hugged me. "Ry your back" Wy yelled and ran over. I picked her up and Freckles shut the door. I threw Wy in the air and she laughed. Freckles grabbed her keychain and Wy's bag. I asked if she was ready and she told me yes. I picked Wy up and carried her to Freckles' car. I gave her to Freckles and she hooked her in. Freckles let me drive and she looked at her phone. My mom got reservations at some place downtown. We got there and Freckles got Wy out. I paid the valet and told the waiter my last name. "Your party is here and waiting," the waiter said. He took us to the booth and Mom hugged me. "Oh my god you look amazing Rory" Tay said and Freckles told Tay she looked amazing too. Wy wrapped tight around Freckles. Tay waved at Wyatt and Wy smiled. I sat next to my mom and Freckles sat next to me. She put Wy in a high chair and Mom told Freckles that Wy was cute. Freckles thanked her and the waiter came. I put my hand on Freckles' thigh and played with a string. She grabbed my hand and looked at me. I almost laughed but Tay talked. "Not to annoy you but what happened to her dad, '' Tay said. "It's a long story but he was abusive and didn't want a baby. So I left him and moved here" Freckles said. I squeezed her hand and she looked at me. Not a normal look her eyes damn near broke my fucking heart. "I'm sorry Rory. It shows you're strong and a warrior" Mom said and Freckles nodded. The waiter took our order and brought drinks. "Does she like juice or anything ?" Mom asked. Freckles asked Wy and Wy told her sparkle. "She wants a sprite" Freckles said and Tay smiled at Wy. She played a game with her and Wy laughed. Mom got Wy a sprite in a sippy cup. Freckles thanked her and Wy took her drink. Mom asked Freckles what she does for work. "I write articles on local events for the college and area. The publishing firm gives me new assignments each week. It's all remote so I can be with Wy." Freckles told Mom and she was impressed. My girl does it all. That makes me want her that much more. After our food came, Mom paid for everything. We all ate and got boxes. I was the only one who finished everything. Freckles barely touched her food. Tay had half her sub left. Wy had chicken and pasta left. Mom had half a wrap and salad left. We all got up and Freckles unhooked Y. She took her hand and we went outside. "It was nice seeing you Rory, hopefully we'll meet again soon" Mom said and Freckles told her of course. They hugged and Wy waved at Tay. "Bye Wyatt" Tay said and Wy smiled at her. "I'll need to see you again Rory sooner than 4 years" Tay said and Freckles laughed. They hugged and I hugged Tay. Hugs weren't my thing till Freckles. She wraps her body around me and it feels fucking awesome. Freckles got Wy in the car and I got her door. I drove and Wy fell asleep. Freckles got out and picked Wy up. She put a blanket over her and I shut the door. Freckles unlocked the gate and went to her apartment. She tried unlocking the door but it didn't open. I told her I'd get it and she thanked me in a whisper. Once she got inside, I locked the door. She put Wy in her room and shut the door. "Don't you have practice soon ?" Freckles asked. I told her not for another hour. She smiled and sat down. I grabbed my bag and put it by the door. I sat next to Freckles and she moved onto my lap. Freckles wrapped her arms around me tight. I asked if she was okay. "No, I know he's going to do something to me or Wy. He did the same in Concor after I left him" Freckles told me. I wanted to find this fucking guy and have him suffer on the floor. I get mad at my mom but never fight her. This guy ever touches her he won't think about it after I'm done with him. This jackass made Freckles lose her glow. I rubbed her arm and she put her head on my chest. She fell asleep. I twirled her hair in my hand and watched a hockey game. Two I got up and put Freckles on the couch. I set her down and she woke up. "Ryder, what's going on ?" She asked and I told her I had to go. She wiped her eyes and got up. She hugged me and her lips found mine. I told I had to go and we kissed one more time. I grabbed my bag and went to the arena. Coach was at the door and patted shoulders. "Osher, can I see you for a sec ?" Coach said. I walked to the lobby and sat down. "I know you've been with Rory Lynn. I heard you met the punk that left her. To keep your reputation clean, don't just go beat him up. If he hurts one of them go right ahead but till no fighting" Coach told me. I nodded and he got up. I went to the locker room and got gear on. Then I threw my skates on for warm up. Coach made us do drills for an hour. I heard Freckles yell and Coach told us to take a break. He came back with Wy on his hip. "Alright boys, welcome Wyatt, she'll be helping out today" Coach said. Wy looked at us. The guys all laughed after she told us we stunk.