seven

Karina shift ended early that night. Her phone screen shows it's just ten, and she got two more hours before the night reached twelve.

"Going home?", Aeri asked as she saw the taller girl change from her nurse uniform into a casual one.

"Yeah. I plan to do something before going to sleep", Karina said as she shut her locker close. The Japanese rest her back on the walls, "planning to do something with your cute neighbour, I guess?", she asked as she wiggled her eyebrows playfully.

"Kind of like that", Karina nodded with her calm expression as she put the sling on from her handbag to her shoulder.

"Oh— So now you are not denying the fact anymore?", Aeri gasped teasingly.

"She's kinda cute, tho. I'm not gonna lie", Karina scoffed lightly as she twisted the doorknob, starting to walk slowly from the wards while Aeri keep following her right behind.

"Told ya! She's the live version—female version of Pocoyo! Finally you got my words", Aeri clapping her hands happily, but Karina couldn't deny thay fact any longer.

Aeri always right.

"I agree", the taller girl chuckled as they made their way towards the parking lot.

*****

When Karina reached home and tossed her handbag on her bed like usual, instead of getting ready to go to bed, she was looking forward to meeting Winter right now.

What should she tell her?

"Winter, can I learn how to play guitar from you?— Like that? Not convincing enough. What if she ask me the reason why?"

"Winter, can you teach me how to play guitar so I can have some peace in my mind?— Sounds pathetic. She already know about my problems"

"Winter, please teach me how to play guitar so I can have a zen life!— Okay, Karina. That's kind of stupid"

The girl kept walking in a circle at the centre of her living room, monologues while thinking about how she should approach the shorter girl today.

It's been two weeks since Karina broke up with her boyfriend, but between the rough times, Winter always comes to her, strumming her melancholy calming guitar per Karina's request. Sometimes, Karina just asks her to be her drinking buddy.

Winter really helps, and Karina wants to know more about her neighbour.

After building up some courage inside her mind, Karina walked out of her apartment, pushing the bell button in front of her neighbour door.

It took almost ten seconds before the other girl unlocked the front door, peeking through the slightly open space.

"Karina?", Winter asked when she saw the figure in front of her door. Winter finally opens her door wider, "What are you doing here?".

Winter is only in her oversized white T-shirt  with a puppy picture on 'em and black shorts. The view somehow succeed to rose Karina's cheeks, butterflies filling her inside.

"H-Hi...", is the only words that came out from nervous Karina. "I'm... Can I...", Karina's words came to a halt when she saw the bandage on the shorter girl's palm.

"What happened to your hand?", the taller girl asked worriedly.

"I broke another glass", the shorter girl grin apologetically.

"Again?", Karina asked, and Winter just nodded her head as her answer. Strange, Karina thought inside her mind. "This is the third time you have broken your glass since you moved here".

"Actually, this is the seventh time since I moved here", Winter scratches her neck awkwardly as Karina keeps gazing at the shorter girl worriedly.

"That's a lot, Winter. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Karina. Don't worry about me", the shorter girl flashed a tiny smile on her face before she continue. "So, why are you here in front of my door?".

"So... I was thinking... maybe...", Karina looks to her left, then to the right, and then to the floor. "Can you teach me?", she asked shyly.

"Teach you what?", Winter asked in confusion.

"G-Guitar?", Karina grin awkwardly at the shorter. Winter, letting out a small chuckle.

"So, you want me to teach you how to play guitar?", Winter laughs lightly, and Karina just nods her head, confirming.

"Sure", Winter answered between her laughs, "but maybe not today. I can't teach you with an injured hand", Winter waved her bandaged palm in front of Karina's face.

"It's okay. You don't need to rush. I can learn from you when you got better", Karina smiled back before a growl was heard from Winter's stomach. "Are you hungry? When was the last time you eat today?"

"Hmm... At three?", Winter answered with a little nod.

"Can I come in? I'll cook something for you to eat", Karina offered, and Winter couldn't reject them when her stomach growls for the second time.

"I guess my stomach needs something to eat", Winter grinned in embarrassment.

The shorter girl invited the taller inside her apartment. Winter might be a regular guest in Karina's, but this is Karina's first time in Winter's.

Despite the same layout of the house plan, Winter's furniture is much lesser than Karina's.

"Nice house", Karina laughs lightly before Winter answers her. "Thank you", she chuckled.

The taller girl headed straight to Winter's fridge to find nothing for her to cook inside them. "Why don't you have anything to eat inside your fridge? Not even a single mineral water, or the usual beer you bought for me?", Karina asked.

"I'm pretty lazy to go outside. I always order food delivery services"

"I see. Got any instant noodles?", Karina asked again as she shut the fridge close.

"I think I have some on that shelf", Winter pointed her finger to the shelf above the stove, but Karina moved too fast that she opened the wrong shelf, revealing few bottles of medications and pills. Winter immediately ran towards her and quickly shut the shelf closed.

"Oops! You got the wrong one!", Winter chuckled nervously as Karina looked at her with a confused expression.

"That's a lot of medications, Winter. Are you sick?"

"Me? Sick? No-no. Nothing serious. It's just some painkillers and antibiotics. My hands keep acting silly, and I need them most of the time"

Despite Winter's explanations, Karina still finds her neighbour trying to hide something from her. But for now, she tried to push away the thoughts when she heard Winter stomach growls for the third time that night.

"I'll cook something for you first. Your stomach seems really really angry right now", Karina chuckled lightly before she finally opened the right shelf for the noodles.