nineteen

The first thing Winter heard when she woke up from her unconscious state was  the voice of a person talking to another person. She recognized one of the voices, but not the others.

Her eyes fluttered open, and she thought that her girlfriend would be there right beside her when she woke up. With soft humms, the voices from just now came closer to her direction.

"Winter, how are you feeling?", it was Aeri.

"Where is...", Winter asked with her low voice, wasn't fully awaken yet from the anaesthesia.

"Karina? She's here, on that couch three metres away from you. She's sleeping", Aeri answered as she poured some water into a paper cup for Winter to drink.

Winter frowns for a second, "Then, who are you talking to just now?"

Half-opened eyes Winter were greeted with an unknown figure beside Aeri. That black haired girl waved her hands shyly towards Winter with a small smile flashed on her face. "Hi, I'm Ningning, Aeri's girlfriend. Aeri and Karina told me a lot about you".

"Oh..." is the only word Winter could speak out at the moment before Aeri helped to lift up the upper part of the bed, holding the paper cup to Winter's mouth. "Drink this".

"Thanks...", Winter said in her soar voice before she started to gulps in. Winter lifted her right hand. The back of her hand was now at the bottom of the cup as she drank.

When the cup is finally empty, Aeri sets the cup aside as she takes her seat at the chair beside the bed. "Karina just fell asleep about ten minutes ago. I'm the one who asked her to sleep on that couch instead of being here. Should I wake her up?"

"No... don't...", Winter shakes her head lightly. "Let her sleep. I'll sleep some more".

*****

When Winter is awake for the second time after her surgery, she finally feels that familiar grip inside her right hand. She knows who is the owner of that warmth, and she missed it.

Karina was talking to Aeri and Ningning about one of their patients from the children ward. They also talked about how Mihee questioned Aeri for Karina's day off schedule, and being the devil, Aeri told her that Karina going to get married today.

She told them that Mihee cried this morning.

When Winter's finger starts to fidget between their grips, Karina finally stood up with a wide, happy smile before she leans in closer to Winter, kissing Winter on her temple.

"Hi, Winter," Karina greeted. "Sorry that I fell asleep when you woke up the first time."

"It's okay, Rina. You must be tired...", the smile on Winter's face got wider despite her eyes barely open.

"How is your left hand? Does it hurt? If it is, I'll call your nurse in charge to inject some painkillers down your tube", Karina asked. The soft caressing of her thumb on Winter's hand was soothing, and Winter couldn't help from smiling like a loser she is.

"I'm fine", Winter answered, eyes finally open to its fullest.

Now she could see it clearly. She could see that sunshine smile on her girlfriend's face. She moved her eyes towards the couch at the side of the room. There's Aeri talking with her— Oh. So that's how Ningning looks like.

"Do you want to eat anything? You must be hungry. I promised to feed you, remember?", Karina said before kissing Winter once on the lips. "Tell me what you want to eat?".

Winter smiles sheepishly, "I want you," but Karina got it all wrong as the taller girl started to cough from how shock she was. "I— ehemm. No sae—hex... before wedding, Winter. My mom won't allow me to."