ten

The first time Karina knocked on Winter's door because of the noise pollution she made, she was awestruck by the young nurse's beauty despite finding her a bit scary at first. But it all changed when Winter could see that Karina was just a beauty in her stuttering mess.

Winter found her cute since then.

Karina has been persistently visiting Winter's apartment three times a week to learn guitar from her. Surprisingly, the nurse is a fast learner. She could remember all the notes just in three weeks of class.

Today is their fourth week, thus one month since Karina started learning guitar from the shorter girl. Instead of learning, Karina rang Winter's doorbells that day with two plastic bags of Chinese food takeouts.

"What's the occasion?", Winter asked as her brows waved in amusement from the food.

Karina chuckled before she made her way into Winter's apartment, already comfortable like it was her own, "Sadly, I don't think I can have another guitar class with you today", she said as she placed the food on Winter's kitchen counter.

"Why?"

"I need to assist a surgery at four. So, I'm here just to have lunch with you before I need to go right back to the hospital", Karina said while she opened the lid to the food she brought. Winter was right next to her, helping with what she could.

"It's okay, Karina. You know you can come whenever you want", a small smile flashed on Winter's face as Karina smiled back at her apologetically, "Thanks".

Winter shook her head softly, "No. Thank you, for the food", Winter smiled before she pulled out a stool from her counter for Karina to sit on. Her eyes signaled the nurse to sit down, right next to Winter's. Karina smiled back at the kind gesture.

As the two neighbors enjoyed the food Karina brought, Winter watched every action of the taller girl. How Karina gently moved her hair to the side beautifully. How her curly lashes blink every time Karina munches the food. How Karina's Adam's apple moved every time she gulped down the food down her throat.

Without Winter realizing that she gulps too every time Karina gulps.

She suddenly remembered the day when she asked Karina the reason for her being so blushed in front of Winter from their first guitar lesson. It took Karina three days to talk back to Winter after shutting her off completely.

Winter wasn't sure if the question itself shocked Karina or made her startled and mad, but because of the three days without talking to one another, Winter couraged herself to knock on the nurse's door right after she came back home from work to say sorry.

Strangely, Karina just laughs back at her apologies with her blushed cheeks, again.

Winter couldn't define what actually her neighbor truly felt about her question that day.

"Karina?", she suddenly called between their lunch.

Karina slowly turns her head to the shorter girl with her mouth full of food, "Yeah?", the taller girl asked.

"After we are done with our lunch, can you stay a bit more? J-Just for about ten minutes! I promise", Winter said as she played with her fork nervously. Confused, Karina just nodded her head, "Sure, but why? I think I can stay for a while since I have one more hour to go back".

"It's just...", Winter paused her words, trying to look anywhere else other than Karina's eyes. "I just wrote a song last night. So, I thought you could be the first one to hear it?", she finally shifted her trembling eyes back to the nurse.

All she could see was sunshine and a smile in Karina.

"I would love to, Winter".

*****

Winter fixed the guitar on her grip, sitting on her usual stool she used on the balcony, facing Karina who was now on her couch, waiting patiently for Winter to start her play.

The sweat on Winter's forehead is evident. She wrote this song for her audition, but she had no one in mind to write about. So, she just thought about anyone close to her lately, and she could only think about Karina in her mind.

She wrote about her in the song.

*A/N - RECOMMENDED TO PLAY THIS BEFORE YOU READ!! (Ai Song + Dialogue)

"You ready?", Winter asked despite her being the nervous one.

The nurse nodded her head anticipatingly, "Drop the beat", she smiled.

Winter coughed once before she strummed the six strings altogether just to make sure the notes were right. When the sound hits her eardrums just fine, Winter coughs once more before she starts playing.

Oh, I'm obsessed,

With the way your head is layin' on my chest,

How you love the things I hate about myself,

That no one knows, but with you, I see hope again.

Oh, I'm a mess,

When I overthink the little things in my head,

You seem to always help me catch my breath,

But then I lose it again,

When I look at you, that's the end.

And why do I get so nervous when I look into your eyes?

Butterflies can't stop me fallin' for you,

And darlin', this is more than anything I felt before,

You're everything that I want, but I didn't think I'd find,

Someone who is worth the wait of all the years of my heartbreak,

But I know now I found the one I love.

Winter stopped singing with her head still low, avoiding eye contact with Karina. She was afraid when she knew that she actually wrote this song with Karina in her mind despite not everything in the lyrics being true.

"Winter...", Karina's low, deep voice startled the nervous girl before Winter slowly lifted her head up only to be greeted with what she could explain as the most genuine happy smile on the entire earth. "Are you nuts? That was so good! Your voice— The lyrics— Gosh! It is so good!".

Winter is lost for words, "Umm... thanks...", she says as she scratches the back of her neck, finally flashes a tiny smile to the nurse. When Winter's heart is just about to calm down, Karina unexpectedly makes her heart beat fast again.

"May I know... who you write the song for?"

This time, it was Winter who's beet red. Probably redder than Karina was three weeks ago, or probably more than every time Karina blushed in front of her.

"I-I..."

When Winter's trembling eyes are too evident from Karina's view, the young nurse chuckled once as she laughs lightly, not until Winter answered her question.

"I-I got no one... in mind. So, I just write anything that comes to my mind..."

"I see—"

"About you"

Winter's final words send both of them blushing at each other in a weird tense. Only god knows how their heart beats in sync at the moment.