twenty

Karina knew that the pain will eat her up, so around three at night, she woke up from her sleep, pulling out her arm from Winter's head before her other arm rested on her girlfriend's waist.

She continued to her slumber right after.

The next day, she woke up first around eight in the morning. Being a light sleeper, she could easily wake up by the sound of Winter's nurse in charge came into the room with the trolley of food and meds, trying to inject in another pain killers inside Winter's tube.

Karima gladly said her thanks to her coworkers after she placed the breakfast on the counter.

"Baby, you need to wake up. It's almost nine, and your breakfast is here," Karina gently caressing Winter's cheek with her thumb. A small smile quickly turned into a soft chuckle when the other girl squirmed between her sleep.

"No... let me sleep more..."

"Breakfast won't wait, Winter. I'll tell you, if you woke up late, the nurse in charge will take away your breakfast in an hour from now," Karina smiled.

"No... you lied!"

Karina laughs lightly, "I know the schedule for every patient meal, Winter. I am definitely not lying."

Seeing Winter keep squirming in protest with eyes still shut close, too stubborn to wake up, Karina prepared her threat. "Aren't you eager to let me feed you, Winter? If you didn't wake up, then I won't—"

"—I'm awake! Definitely not sleeping!" Winter was upn sitting on her bed with half-open eyes and a tiny trace of drools at the corner of her lips. The sight makes the nurse laugh.

*****

After the doctor final check-up on Winter that evening, the guitarist was allowed to go home. Her doctor also told Karina some things on what to do and not to do while they are at home. Being prepared with every medical casualties, Karina takes note of everything he said inside her mind.

While they were in the lobby, they came across Karina's patient from the children's ward, Mihee. The young girl sulked when her eyes met Winter's. They exchanged glares for one or two minutes before Karina needed to pull Winter away from any world war to happen again.

Karina put Winter's duffle bag inside her car boot before opening the door for her handicapped girlfriend (despite Winter could open the door herself with her other hand).

The drive towards their apartment was smooth. Karina didn't dare to drive fast, afraid that any emergency brakes would make her girlfriend in pain.

When they arrived at their apartment, instead of going to Winter's, Karina insisted for the girl to stay at her apartment, which Winter gladly agreed to despite being confused with the sudden request.

Karina would become the busiest human alive, going back and forth from her apartment to Winter's to grab some clothes and stuff that Winter might need for her stay.

"Why your apartment? I can stay at mine," Winter lifted her eyebrows in confusion before Karina shook her head hard, unpacking the clothes she got from Winter's apartment.

"No-uh. You'll stay at my apartment this week. I won't accept no as an answer."

"But, why?"

"I am more familiar with my apartment, which allows me to take care of you better. I got a bigger bed than yours, which allowed us to cuddle every single night from now on. Of I'm being extreme enough, I'll ask you to move into my apartment right now, but now that you got one hand in a cast and couldn't move out your things, I'll ask that question again next month."