sixteen

It's two more weeks before the final audition. The pain kept coming despite Winter trying to hold it the best as she could. But, in the end, she always ended up grunting in pain as Karina held her close, hushing her words to keep the pain away.

Winter still plays her guitar despite her sickness. Her plucking movements were minimal, Karina opposed her from doing extreme plucking music that would make both of them crying from the pain. But, as long as she could see the smile on the nurse face when she did, that's all that matters for Winter.

It feels surreal how things truly felt for her after days, making sure that this is what she really needs.

For days, Winter kept thinking. Did the auditions really matter for her that much? Yes, it was, at first. Winter knew that she wanted to do what she loves for years, only to wait for this moment to come.

But, it all changed when Karina came.

Playing guitar is still her passion. Her love for the instrument is just overwhelming that she would play the string for every minute, every hour. Plucking every note, hitting that sound every time could rise the sunshine in her face.

But, does the audition would make her happy?

The way Karina kissed her on the lips when she came to the apartment after work. The way Karina cooks for her almost every day with that apron wrapped around her beauty figure. The way Karina cared for her and hug her every time the pain eats her up. The way Karina sang along with her when she strum her guitar. The way Karina loves her more than anyone ever did to Winter.

That means a world to Winter.

A world of happiness, with Karina by her side.

After one slepless night, thinking deeply about her next action, Winter woke up the next day, drinking a milk from the little box using a straw instead of holding the cup, avoiding from breaking any more glass as she did break about three of them this week before she headed straight towards the bus stop outside their apartment complex.

Her ginger short hair was quickly covered by her creme-coloured hoodie, protecting herself from the cold breeze. She got on the bus with shivered hands as she took her seat right beside the window.

The bus ride to the hospital took her about fifteen minutes before she waited patiently for her turn to be called.

"Miss Winter Kim!", the nurse on the counter called before Winter headed straight to the usual white door she visited every two weeks.

Hands inside her pockets when she greeted the woman on the doctor seat, "Good morning, Doctor Park", Winter smiled as she took her seat across her.

"Morning, Miss Kim. You called all of sudden last night. What's the matter?", the doctor asked, putting the pen to the side as her eyes were stuck onto Winter.

"I...", Winter paused her words, clutching her hands tightly inside her hoodie pocket. "I want to do the surgery", she nods her head confidently, just enough to make the doctor eyes wide open.

"Oh? Why all of sudden? I thought your audition is in five days?"

Winter smiled lightly before she answered, "I don't think that the audition would make me happy any longer. I still want to play my guitar for a really long time, and I just thought that going to that audition won't satisfy my needs", she laughed lightly.

"That's really good, Miss Kim! I will find the soonest date for your surgery. How does that sound to you?", the doctor asked with a big smile on her face. Winter chuckled once and nodded her head, "Amazing".

The doctor excitedly opened the system on her computer, clacking keyboards with a happy smile. Since Winter's visit to the hospital three months ago, the girl was extraordinarily stubborn with the idea of surgery.

"What makes your heart change, Miss Kim? If... you don't mind?", the doctor glared one at Winter with the same smile, and Winter just smiled back before her eyes shifted to look at her hands inside her hoodie pocket. Hue of red starts rosing up her cheeks as she does.

"My... girlfriend loves me playing the guitar. It makes me happy. She makes me happy. "

*****

Doctor Park insisted on walking Winter out of her room after their consultation because of how grateful she is with Winter's bug decision. As the two women walk out from the door, they were surprised when Winter's name was called out suddenly, not until a body crashed onto Winter'sn holding the shorter figure tightly inside her embrace.

"Winter, oh god. I'm so worried about you!", the taller girl said between Winter's neck as the two confused women watched her.

"Rina?", Winter called the name softly. "What are you doing here? Your shift is supposed to start at twelve today. It's only ten now", Winter laughs lightly as she circles her hands around the taller girl waist.

When Karina pulled her head away, facing Winter, who was smiling at her in her soft features, finally the nurse could sigh in relief. "I couldn't find you at your apartment when I woke up. Aeri saw you this morning and called me. Why are you here all of a sudden? Your next check-up should be on this Thursday. Are you in pain?", the taller girl brows furrows in each word.

Winter didn't answer her, still smiling towards the nurse before the doctor broke the ice. "Nurse from the children wards?"

Karina pulled away from her girlfriend immediately, realizing it too late that the doctor is still there with them. She gazed at the nurse card in her lanyard, "Ah! Yes, I am. Karina Yu, nurse, mainly on the children's wards, but I sometimes do my rounds for general wards, too. Nice to meet you, Dr. Park", Karina bowed down. "I heard a lot about you from Winter".

The doctor smiled back at the kind gesture. "She's here for good news, Nurse Yu", the doctor chuckled before she continued. "Congratulations. Your girlfriend's surgery date was set on Wednesday, two days from now".

Karina wasn't sure if the smile on her face is because the fact that the doctor knew about their relationship or about the fact that Winter finally agreed to do the surgery. "R-Really...?"

"Yes", the doctor laughs happily. "She called me last night about her concern, and decided to do the surgery as soon as possible because she wanted to make you happy".

Oh god. Only god knew how badly Karina wanted to kiss the girl in this creme hoodie right here, right now.

*****

"Tell me this isn't real!", Karina repeated, but the shorter girl kept laughing at her with that cute voice of sunshine.

"I'm being real, Karina. I'm doing the surgery"

Karina's hands still in Winter's, jumping happily for a few times before she stopped, pecking Winter's lips coutless times. Gladly, there's no one around at this rooftop park at the moment, or Karina swears to god, she would be embarrassed herself to death.

"I love you!", she pecks.

"I'm so proud of you!", she pecks again.

"Love you too", Winter giggles in reply. "I realized strumming that 'noise-pollution' melody for you will be much much greater than strumming it for a mere audition. I realized I would be happier when I played it for you. I want to do it, for you", Winter smiled before Karina leaned in to peck her lips again.

"Oh, god. Winter, I love you"

"You told me almost one hundred times today, Rina", Winter laughs before she places both her hands behind Karina's neck, pulling her close.

Their sweet kiss that would last forever, Winter would always obsessed with this soft lips.

"Need you to help me packing my things for tomorrow", Winter said between the small gaps as they pulled away. Karina smiled as she put her forehead onto Winter's, "What time you should be hospitalised?".

"At two in the evening", Winter chucked.

"Great. So, tomorrow, I'll help you out, and on Wednesday, I'll take a leave, for you", Karina smiled wider.

"Great then. I'll have my personal doctor all by myself on the surgery day", Winter smiled one last time before she leaned in again to that lips.