Chapter 2 🍂

Lisa's pov

BREAKING NEWS
HER ROYAL HIGHNESS, THE PRINCESS ROYAL, JENNIE OF MANOBAN HAS BEEN STRIPPED OF ROYAL TITLE AND PRIVILEGES - A RUMOUR YET TO CONFIRM

BREAKING NEWS
THE ROYAL HOUSE OF MANOBAN DENIES ANY STATEMENTS; AID SAYS DO NOT TRUST THE RUMOURS

BREAKING NEWS
HER ROYAL HIGHNESS, THE PRINCESS ROYAL SPOTS EVACUATING APARTMENT 1 A, MANOBAN PALACE, FURTHER FUELING THE CIRCULATING RUMOUR

BREAKING NEWS
HER ROYAL HIGHNESS, THE ROYAL PROTECTOR, LISA OF MANOBAN MAINTAINS STIFF UPPER LIP AMIDST SISTER'S RIFT WITH THE FIRM

BREAKING NEWS
NOW A PRIVATE SUBJECT; USED TO BE PRINCESS ROYAL ADMITS TO CIRCULATING RUMOUR, CALLING IT THE ROAD TO FREEDOM

BREAKING NEWS
"They are still my family," EX - PRINCESS ROYAL TOLD THE PRESS AFTER LEAVING MANOBAN PALACE, HOPING THE RIFT WOULD CLEAR UP ONE DAY

BREAKING NEWS
HER ROYAL HIGHNESS, LADY ROSEANNE PARK - MANOBAN SPOTS WITH COMMON SISTER - IN LAW, PREVIOUSLY PRINCESS ROYAL - SPARKS PUBLIC DEBATE

I wince at the last headline I read. Of course, she would do the wrong thing at the wrong time like this.

And of course, the media would go frenzy over her and the simplest act of which she does; standing by my sister when that poor thing has been stripped of her title and privileges.

"At least she has a heart," one comment sings in the printed media. "No one keeps a stiff upper lip when your family is in danger of public humiliation," another says.

I breathe in, then out, then the newspaper joins its other family from different publishers, all scattered on the floor of my office, now taking form as a badly crumpled paper.

Sensing the rising temper, I turn my back on the working desk and walk aimlessly inside the office. One hand travels into my slack and when it returns, a pack of white cigarette surfaces.

I shake the pack, lazily tapping its head against the heel of my palm while my mind goes thinking; at times like this, it's when the House is at its highest jeopardy.

Another Princess Royal leaving her post, just like the unpopular predecessor 50 years before. Love was said to be the cause, or better the curse for the first princess royal.

But in Jennie's case, I am not sure it's partially true. Her hunger for freedom has always been apparent since she was small; since we were kids and I refuse to believe any other shit than that.

"Your Royal Highness,"

A voice comes after a brief knock. I am facing the giant window, where I can see half of the things going on outside our Royal Residence.

Flashes of camera desperately trying to capture what they might deem odd and write ludicrous stories about it.

"What?" I suck smoke into my lungs, and breathe it out a moment later. "The Princess Royal, pardon me, Ms. Jennie has requested an audience with you, preferably today"

I give him a dark gaze. "What is she up to again?" My tone conveys a fair mix of anger and disappointment.

"Is what she has done not enough?" I point to the window where all the cameras are on stand-by mode. "Is the damage not yet fatal that she needs to be seen with me?"

"We are not sure but Ms. Jennie has said, she'd only discuss it with you," the servant verifies. I shake my head and pour myself a Scotch. I can't believe I am doing this.

***

"Thank you for agreeing to see me,"

Jennie says once I get into the car. It's heavily tinted; a standard procedure for every car that is supplied to the Royal House.

"Whatever that you have," I cross my legs, checking my pocket square before fixing my cufflinks. "To discuss, we discuss it only this one time. I cannot imagine we going round and round in conversation like this someday in future,"

"I tried to reach Mama, arranging an audience with her ..."

Jennie begins and her effort is just majestically mindblowing. How can she still have the nerve to consult the Head of the Family after the circus she did? After dragging all the unnecessary attention to every one of us? Pathetic.

"But for some reason, her office kept telling me a no, quoting that mama's diary is full of stuff already and they cannot find even a minute to spare me,"

"We all have our duty to carry, Jennie" I tell, lighting up one of my cigarettes.

"I know but I just need to see her for the last time," my sister breathes out shakily. I wince again. "What happens to your stiff upper lip?" I look away, smoking.

Then, I continue, thin smoke exiting my nose as I snarl, "Jennie, you barely left for a day and you forgot what you've brought up to believe in?"

"My mental health has been a non - issue to the family for quite sometime now," Jennie fists her palms. Then, I hear her soft sobbing. Her whole frame rattles.

"I've tried my best to play my part, exceeding in my role but it's just..." her voice breaks at this point. "It's just too much and it's hard and I woke up one day to realise, I couldn't do it anymore,"

"So, you left your family behind?" I narrow my eyes on her. "So, you thought if you leave things would be better?"

"Please, you above all people know that I've been suffering for a long time,"

Jennie yells. Then, she hits my arm repeatedly, messing up with my pocket square. "And you, just like anyone else refused me any help to begin with,"

"Mental health isn't real, Jennie" I lock my eyes with her. "It's just your mind playing trick on you,"

"You don't understand, Lisa" she tries to cut me off. "You're right, I don't understand. That's why I have to go," I put out my cigarette and pop a minty chocolate into my mouth.

"Lisa, the more you stay, the more of a monster you become and that's the last thing I want for you," Jennie pleads. I give her a ludicrous look. "Stop saying things like that, Jennie. Remember your place, you used to be among us,"

"But now I've stepped away,"

"That you are and I am happy for you if you are ever happy for that to happen to you,"

"Lisa, listen..."

"Your time is up,"

I tap my wrist. "I'd prefer we don't see each other anymore after this,"

❤️❤️❤️ Don't forget to vote and comments