Chapter 37 🪻

Roseanne's pov

“I’m glad we’re able to talk without so much drama,” 

I say when Jennie picks up the call. She doesn’t sound at ease though. Her reply comes out flat and short, almost like she’s nervous about something.

Putting on a tint of lipstick, I steal a quick glance in the mirror. “You don’t sound like yourself,” I say while walking out of the room and into the hall. 

Someone stands there with clasped hands on the front. At the sight of me, she performs the curtsy before lowering her gaze to the floor. 

“Your Royal Highness, the lunch has been prepared for you …”

“Yes, yes. You can go back now. I just want to be alone” 

“Sure. Enjoy your food, Your Royal Highness…” 

I wait until she’s literally gone before continuing the conversation. “I’m sorry, where were we just now?” 

“Rosie,” the nickname comes. I halt for a second. I have only heard that nickname when things go fatally wrong in this family.

The first time, it was when Jennie stepped down from her Royal Duty and I was the first she approached to tell. And now, it is the second time she has used it so I’m expecting grave news with anxiety slowly brewing. 

“Yes?”

“There’s something I need to tell you … Something, I think you should know”

I say nothing but my mind is thinking. The clock ticks. One second passes. Then another. Then, I gather the air into my lungs. “Okay,” I say, locking my eyes with the portrait of my mother and I; drawn on the evening of her last birthday. “Surprise me,”

***

I knock on Jennie’s doorstep a little impatiently. What comes to serve me after the door is pulled open backward is Jisoo; her partner. “Hey,” the Korean breathes out.

She looks anxious like she has been anticipating my arrival and now that I’m here, she doesn’t quite know how to react.

“I’m sorry for dropping unannounced,” I ignore the way tears rolling down my cheeks. Or the weariness in my voice.

“But I need to see her,” 

“Of course,” Jisoo nods her head frantically before stepping aside as I invite myself in. “They have been in the drawing room since forever,” she shuts the door close behind her.

“It’s the left corner from here, if you remember, then a straight path until you see the …” “I got it from here, Jisoo. Thank you” “Oh…” she licks her lower lip then pops an awkward smile.

Her right hand rises half in the air, then hangs in a pose. “Then, I guess good luck?” 

***

“I don’t need you to meddle with my affair,” 

I hear a familiar voice frustratingly whining from inside the room. Needing no investigator to tell me that it’s my wife inside, I push the door backward and both parties are taken aback by the sudden, announced appearance.

“Great” Lisa sarcastically comments when our eyes meet briefly. Hers are still cold instead of flaming hot like mine. “Now, you’ve successfully ruined it, Jen” 

“Rosie,” 

My sister - in - law approaches my side. But my eyes have never been taken off her sister’s. “I’m not summoning you here so that both of you can fight about it like cats and dogs,” she sighs.