Chapter 22

"I was told to expect your visit,"

Suzy Bae says as she unlocks the door to her apartment. Then, with a smile slowly unfolding on that face, rests her back against the door frame, arms crossed lazily.

"That's very considerate of them," I fix my cufflinks, then run my thumb on the blue butterfly pin, pinned to the lapel of my suit. "Because I have a very important thing to tell you right now,"

"Oh," she lights up immediately. "Are you going to do it straightaway?" she asks, panic shining through her eyes. "Or can you at least give me 10 minutes to make myself look presentable?"

I frown. "What do you think I'm going to do?"

"Proposing right?" She asks me back. "You're going to go down to one knee and make it all official right?"

She adds before giving me an incredulous look. "Lisa, that's why you're here right?"

I shake my head. "My intention is the opposite of what you think,"

I state. Suzy shakes her head in refusal to believe.

"No," she takes a step back. "You're joking"

"I am not," I breathe out. "Listen,"

I press my lips together. "I appreciate what we had before this..."

She cuts me off. "Had?" her frown grows intense.

"What's the matter with your choice of tense?"

"Now that you have noticed that subtle hint, I'm sure you do know for a fact where this conversation is heading to,"

She shakes her head again before covering her ears.

"No," fear in her eyes when she looks at me. "I don't want to hear anything,"

"Listen,"

I grab her hand. "Please tell me this," I lift my left hand and still it in front of her face. "Do you see the ring I wear? Around my ring finger? Or the signet ring Roseanne wears? On her pinky bearing my emblem?"

"No, Lisa..." she begs me. "Please, don't do this"

"I am married to her,"

I breathe out. "I am married to Roseanne Park and though I might enjoy what we had, things would never work for us if we decide to push things a little far than the mark we have reached together,"

"No," Suzy protests. Then, she grabs my lapel to bring me closer to her. "We can work things out between us. Please, trust me. I know you love me, Lisa. We'll be happy and I'll give you what you need,"

"Trust me,"

I pinch the bridge of my nose. "If you really think you'd get to make me feel the way Roseanne makes me feel, then you are gravely wrong because,"

I lift my head to get a glimpse of her eyes. "Only Roseanne would be able to do that, be it back then, now or ever,"

"No,"

Suzy chants again. "No!!" she yells before pushing me backward, my shoulder hits the wall before she jabs on my chest.

"You can't leave me!" she warns. "You fucking can't!" she insists before walking away, free hand scanning through her hair.

"I can,"

I stare at her back because she's facing other direction.

"And before we mess up even further, I think it's only right if we say good bye to one another this instance. Before words get out to the media and Roseanne will get the wrong idea of it,"

"I don't understand,"

Suzy snickers. "Why the hell do you really care about her anyway?" she looks at me. "Lisa, she's the reason why you don't have any heirs to the throne. Do you think someone with mental instability like that can become queen?"

"I will not comment on that,"

I shake my head before checking the watch on my wrist.

"I need to go,"

I say, moving on my feet towards the door. But Suzy pauses my step by clinging to my hand. The next thing I know, a sting of pain spreads on my left cheek.

"That for being a fucking coward!"

Suzy yells. Then, she slaps me again. "And this for being the biggest coward I've ever seen!"

But I say nothing. I retract from her apartment with her crying her eyes out behind me, cursing every possible word that crosses her mind that particular second.

"I will never let you go, Lisa"

She warns me with tearful eyes. "Not now, not ever,"

I slip into the back seat and instruct for the driver to drive.

"Where to next, Your Royal Highness?"

"My place,"

I say, not looking outside the window where Suzy is still cursing at me. "I need to see my wife,"