Chapter 16 🌷

Lisa's pov

"So, what do you do?"

I tilt my head to look in the direction of the voice. My youngest, stout 6 - year - old daughter blinks her eyes.

"What do I do?"

I mess with her hair. We are sitting by the beach, right on a blue blanket with her mononym printed on it. Jieun giggles.

"I don't know," tiny hand covers my own. I stare at it for more than a few seconds. Her shade of tone matches that pale one of Roseanne's than mine. So does every single feature on her face.

"At school, teacher gives us a homework and it's about parents. I think, they ask what they do for a living, or something like that,"

She explains as I lend her my ear. "I see" I remove a hair from her mouth. Her toothy grin pops out as a symbol of silence gratitude.

"So, the teacher asks what I'm doing?"

The tiny one nods. I beam back. "Well, I do lots of things really"

My own hand scans my hair. From a distance, both of us see ships steering in the middle of the sea, away from the angry waves that hit the beach in a loud thud sound.

"Like what?"

My daughter asks. For once, she looks interested.

"Officiating things," I pinch her cheek. "Then, meeting people, discussing about the environtment, how we can make it better for everyome and a bit of anything else,"

Jieun scratches the low area around her ear. "Oh," she arches her eyebrows. "That sounds boring," she concludes and I laugh.

"Come here," the laughter is still visible in my tone qhen she crawls up my lap and I kiss the top of her head, inhaling the familiar strawberry scent that's identical to Roseanne's.

"You're right,"

I see Jieun matches our hands together and giggling at the difference of its sizes. "It's totally boring"

"Then," she turns to look at me. Eyes full of hope. "Why don't you just stay here?"

She blinks, then her eyes look away, scanning the town behind us before she chews on her lip and her brown orbs find mine again. "With me and Jiae? I think we can be happy here,"

I boop our noses, secretly impressed that a 6 - year - old can have such a beautiful thinking. "I think so too," I hold her tight as we watch the waves crashing against the beach.

"Maybe someday," my lips brush against Jieun's ear. She laughs, but her body relaxes against my chest.

"And you're going to bring mommy too?" She asks. I take a moment to respond to that. But eventually I nod and kiss her cheek one more time. "Yes, I think she'll love this place as much as we all do,"

***

We stand in the city centre after that. Even at its most peaked out, the sight if people strolling around more than ten in the street is rare.

Ji-Ae has just finished her Classic Literature with Irene so it's time for me to take her and her younger sister for a walk. Irene originally wanted to tag along but I told her it was alright.

I just want to be surrounded by the girls. So, off we walk. Jieun holds my hand tightly while Ji-Ae boasts her new walking stick. We walk past the bakery with delicious bread smell, then cobbled road originally built by founder of the town, 150 years ago.