Chapter 23

A/N: Starting April 2024, this story will be updated 3 times per week. Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 7 p.m. 

Irene steps into the room where the ophthalmologist has been waiting. "Thank you for agreeing to meet today," she says as she guides Ji-Ae inside. Then, both of the adult women shake hands before sitting comfortably. "How are you feeling today, Ji-Ae?" Im Nayeon, the senior ophthalmologist asks as she breaks a smile.

Next to the 8 - year - old is her 6 - year - old poppycock little sister who has been staring incredulously after such a question fills the air. "We're not supposed to answer that," she says, eyebrows furrowing. "Mama says, we can't tell people what we are into right now and people can't ask us either," she crosses her arms and gives Nayeon a patronising look.

Irene smiles awkwardly as she whispers into the younger princess's ear to behave but Ji-Eun simply refuses and stomps her feet. "You can't ask me to do things I don't want to," she sticks her tongue out before standing protectively between the doctor and her blind older sister. "If you're going to do bad things to unnie, I'm going to tell Mama so that her people can come here and drag you away," Nayeon finds herself smiling at that.

"Ah, she's so protective of her big sister," she comments, eyes switching to Irene's. "She's always been like that," Irene admits. "Because Ji-Ae can't see," Ji-Eun defends herself. "I'm not going to let anyone does bad things to her just because she's blind,"

"But I'm going to help your sister," Nayeon negotiates. She opens her left drawer and pulls a few candies out. "If you let me check her, I'll give you these, okay?" Ji-Eun pauses, slanted eyes scanning the candies in the doctor's palm before scrunching her face up as if she has tasted something sour. "What's that?" she asks. Then, she turns to face Irene with confusion lighting up that small yet chubby face.

"That looks like something straight from Charlie's chocolate factory don't you think,?" a small grin lights up. "That part where his dad took his candies and threw it into the fire," "True enough," Irene offers her agreement. "I don't want that," Ji-Eun shakes her head. "But I'd want Patchi if you have it,"

"Ji-Eun, I don't think the doctor knows about that,"

"Hilarious," the child giggles. Her whole roly - poly structure rattles. Then, she squeezes her clueless big sister who seems to be so engrossed with whatever she's listening to through the Airpods stuck to her ears. "Unnie," she pulls the left airpods out and Ji-Ae frowns. "Hey! I was listening to it," she pouts but not until her little sister hilariously depicts to her the early conversation; mimicking every single thing, earning her sister's laugh a moment later.

"Lol," the oldest sibling giggles. She has the same laugh note like her little sister. "What do you mean you don't know Patchi?" she asks. "She's a doctor. I don't think she eats chocolate,"

"I beg to differ," Nayeon clears her throat. "I actually eat lots of chocolate,"

"Then, explain Patchi," the younger girl giggles along with her older sister. "I'm so sorry" Irene interjects. "Please give me a moment," she pleads before swivelling the chair to the left side where she can face the two girls. "Girls, we are here because Dr. Nayeon would like to help Ji-Ae," she explains softly. "Help with what?" Ji-Eun encounters. Then, she points at her big sister. "With her brain?"

"No, but with her eyes,"

"What's with her eyes?"

Ji-Eun asks again. "She's blind as bat"

"That is why," Irene smiles patiently as she explains. "We would want to make Ji-Ae see things," "See things?" the child frowns. "You want to make her go bananas?" "Absolutely not," Nayeon jumps in. Gratefully for that intervention, Irene pops a small smile. "We would want to help her so that she can see"

"I can see?" Ji-Ae looks surprised. Then, her hand automatically reaches for her little sister's. "Did you hear that? They are going to help me so that I can see?"

"So," Ji-Eun asks again insecurely with narrowed eyes. "You're going to take goyangi's eyes and put it on Ji-Ae?"

"Lol" both of them laugh. Nayeon shakes her head. "Actually, we are going to first check her condition. If everything is alright, we can find her a donor from the list..."

"What list?" Ji-Ae asks. "A donor list,"

"Is it like a grocery list?"

"Actually, it's ..."

"If you two are nice and behave today, I suppose we can go and have ice cream date after this,"

Irene consoles. That seems to do the trick. "Oh, can I have three scoops with lots of sprinkles?"

Ji-Eun asks and Irene mutters her a yes. "I want three scoops too but inside a bowl," Ji-Ae says and Irene tells her yes too. "Alright, but can we let the doctor do her job first?"

"Okay,"

***

Jihyo stares at the text she has just received. Then, she glances at the watch on her wrist. There is only 20 minutes left before the meeting begins and she's still stuck here at the back of the taxi. There's a long bottleneck before them and neither the driver nor Jihyo knows the cause of it.

The private secretary then makes a mental calculation. If she walks by now, she'd be able to spare 5 minutes before the meeting starts. So, she cancels the rest of the ride and pays the taxi driver his sum. Exiting the taxi, she quickly crosses the road but not until she sees a particular familiar Korean passing by with two little toddlers. Jihyo pauses on her feet. That woman looks like Lisa's private secretary who manages her affair outside what Jihyo has been doing.

"Isn't that Irene?"

Jihyo asks herself. Her phone vibrates with a text but she ignores it as her eyes continue to cling to the back of that woman. As far as Jihyo knows, Irene isn't married nor that she has been blessed with kids. Those children, Jihyo slowly moves, her eyes narrowed to get a good glimpse of them both; surprisingly bear a striking resemblance to Her Royal Highness, Lady Roseanne of the Park family, who is also currently married to Lord Protector, Lisa Manoban, her own boss.

"This is interesting..."

Jihyo takes her phone out and switches it to camera mode before zooming and takes a shot of them three from behind. The picture is a bit blurry, but still she clicks it and sends it to a mysterious receiver.

***

Lisa's pov

I step inside her side of the apartment where she lives. Things are scattered on the floor. Sharp broken glasses from multiple vases and expensive China.

"You lied to me!" is the first statement that assaults me when I lift my face from the floor and notice her standing not far from me, her back facing the round window, blocking all the light in. I step inside further, before locking the door behind me.

On Roseanne's bed, next to her untouched breakfast tray, an opened letter with Suzy's family crest can be seen. Along with short, written notes signed with Suzy's signature. I sigh.

"So, you knew about it already,"

"I fucking knew this is going to happen,"

She cries. The tip of her nose is red from all the emotions draining. "I fucking knew you'd leave me one day for that whore,"

"I'm not sure what she wrote to you in there," I clench my jaws. "But whatever she told you, it's not at all the truth,"

"Not at all the truth?" she laughs sarcastically. Her voice tragically thin like a whisper. I'm afraid that this time, I've hurt her real bad.

"Then tell me," she adds. "Is that not true?"

We lock our eyes on each other. For the first time, I am left speechless. "Roseanne" I call her name, take a step forward but she stops me. "Please," she begs like she's tired. "I don't want to hear a thing from you again,"