chapter⁴

the avatar state is scary 

a/n: short chapter ;)

warning: crying

💧✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼💧

authors pov

12:38 PM. THE SOUTHERN AIR TEMPLE

the four of them land at the abandoned air temple, aang looking around in anguish. 

sokka picks up a mostly destroyed fire nation helmet, looking over to aang. y/n looks around, trying to imagine the beautiful place that it once was. and she's trying. 

💧

the four find themselves inside a broken temple. aang leads katara behind him, sokka behind her and y/n behind all of them. 

aang treads softly, looking around. the temple has a gap through the ceiling, letting the bright light of the sun in. 

aang's eyes go wide as he spots a skeleton on the floor. 

"gyatso," aang trembles. the water tribe siblings stand behind him, looking at each other. aang starts to huff, the blue tattoos on his head and arms start to go white. as well as his eyes. wind starts to surround him as he starts to rise. he's activated his avatar state. 

"aang?" katara asks. 

"what's happening?" sokka asks his siblings. "what is he doing?" sokka looks up before pulling both his sisters out of the temple. 

"aang!" y/n calls out. "aang!"

"come on!" sokka shouts, pulling at his sister's hands. 

the temple starts to get ripped apart slowly; pillars falling all around. aang continues to rise, the siblings flying back because of the wind. 

y/n grabs a piece of tree and hold's onto sokka's hand who holds onto katara's. 

"aang! stop this!" katara calls out. "please! aang!"

aang floats to the ground, his eyes going brown and his tattoos going back to blue. 

katara runs over to aang, y/n following her sister. y/n looks at aang who looks up at her, tears falling from his eyes. y/n gives him a motherly hug, dropping to her knees. aang sobs, gripping on her blue water tribe clothes. 

💧

"not to be rude, but what was that?" sokka asks as he's sitting on a bit of debris. 

"i don't know," aang admits as he holds gyatso's necklace in his hands. "there's so much i don't know. the monks are gone, and i'm all alone," 

"you are not alone," y/n says. "don't ever say that,"

"and you know, the thing about loosing everything is that that's when you learn how strong you really are. it's when you learn to fight,"

"they made the ultimate sacrifice for me," aang says, looking down. "i need to make sure their deaths weren't in vain. i need to follow through on what they wanted me to do. complete my training and master all the other bending skills so i can bring balance to the world,"

"oh, is that all?" sokka asks which makes y/n slap his shoulder. 

"this was my home, and now it's gone," aang starts. "it's only after we've lost something that we realiize how much it means to us. and how we'd do anything to get it back. anything. i don't know where this will lead, and i don't know if i have what it takes, but one thing i do know is, i'm the avatar, and this is just the beginning,"