chapter¹¹

a way to get to the tunnels

warning: weapon

💧✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼💧

authors pov

12:17 PM. OMASHU

slowly and carefully with his hand shaking, sai picks up a cup, trying to drink the water inside. he's in his house safe. well partly safe, there's one very angry water tribe male there. another neutral water tribe female and his son. 

this time y/n knows where katara is. the girl went to look for aang. 

"is it true?" sokka asks, his hands flat on the table. y/n stands next to her brother, watching as sai takes a sip and puts the cup down. "were you working with the enemy?"

"it's complicated," sai says, looking away. 

"it's really not," y/n says, getting sai's attention. 

"yeah, it's really not," sokka repeats, using a more hostile tone y/n was using. "it's a simple question. were you helping the firebenders?"

sai looks over teo who has tears threatening to fall from his eyes. he looks back down at the table with a nod.

"yes," sai admits. teo shakes his head in disbelief, ready to leave. "teo. i was trying to protect you," sai gets his son's attention, stopping the younger boy. "the firebenders said that they would kill us and then they'd attack the city if i didn't cooperate. the only reason omashu has been left alone is because of whatever small service i provided them,"

"service? is that what you call giving weapons to the enemy?"

"weapons? no. no, no, no, no, just minor designs," sai says to his son. "minor designs, nothing of any value in war,"

"anything can be turned into a weapon in the wrong hands," sokka says. "especially with the fire nation,"

"sokka," sai says, disregarding the water bender next to him. "you know what it means to make hard choices. your father had to leave your family to go war, leaving you, just a boy, in charge,"

"you don't get to talk to my brother about a life you didn't live," y/n speaks up, looking at sai. "this war has been hard for everyone. but our father would have never did what you just did,"

sokka smiles at his sister in thanks, y/n winking at him. even though the hardest times they will always have each other's backs. 

sai looks at them both before looking down in understandment. the door opens, katara rushing in. she looks at her siblings with a frown.

"aang's in prison,"

💧

"impossible!" sai says to water tribe siblings. he continues to pace, voicing his thoughts. "omashu's prison is deep in the heart of the mountain surrounded by solid rock. the only way in or out is through the palace. i'm sorry, the avatar is lost,"

"we're not leaving aang," katara says, looking at sai. 

"you can get us into the palace," sokka says. 

"can't you?" y/n questions. 

"not after today, i'm sorry. i can't," sai says, starting to walk off. 

"what about the tunnels?" teo asks. 

"tunnels" y/n raises her eyebrow, looking back at the younger kid. 

"the secret tunnels hidden under the mountain," teo continues. "it's said that the founders of the city used them to meet without anyone knowing,"

"a fairytale," sai scoffs, moving his hand up in disbelief. 

"you told me you've seen them," teo says to his father. "unless that was a lie too," 

y/n winces closes her left eye as sokka looks at sai, expecting an answer. 

"yes, there are tunnels," he admits. "but they're unstable. those who go in never come out. if you believe the tales, then vengeful spirits guard the passages,"

"so," sokka starts, fiddling with his fingers. "not just secret tunnels. secret haunted tunnels?" katara rolls her eyes at her brother's antics, y/n stopping herself from releasing a small chuckle. 

"even if i could figure out a way to get them through the tunnels," sai begins. "there's nothing i could do about the palace guards,"

"we'll worry about that," katara says. "just help us get inside," sai looks at the water tribe sibling's seeing the determined look on their face. he has no choice. 

💧

y/n looks at the maps, next to her younger brother. sai hears a bang, making him look up. sokka looks at him strangely, before going back to the map. 

"these maps don't make any sense," sokka says to y/n. y/n messes with her short dark brown hair, taking out the ribbon. she plaits it back in, nodding. "this one says to travel east,"

"while this one says to travel west," y/n says with a sigh. "and this one shows a path due north-i can't,"

sokka chuckles, continuing it for the both of them. 

"and this one...spirals straight up," he finishes, making y/n groan. 

sai notices a piece of paper, stuck to the front of his door with a dagger. he takes the dagger from the paper. he puts the dagger down, looking at the paper. 

y/n notices how quiet sai is being so she looks over to him. 

"what's wrong?" she asks, getting her brother's attention. the look of sai's face is one of distraught. 

"it's my fire nation contact," sai says, sokka taking the note from sai's hands. 

"tell him you'll meet him," sokka says as he finishes reading the note, handing it to his sister. "then go to the earth kingdom generals and let them know they can set a trap to round up these spies,"

"no, no," sai says, y/n handing him back the note. "no, no, no, the firebenders made it clear. any resistance and they'll send everything they've got at us,"

"let them come," teo says, making everyone look at him. "the avatar has returned to the world. it's time to stop hiding. it's time to fight,"