chapter⁵

making it to kyoshi island

a/n: sokka's taller than both his sisters

💧✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼💧

authors pov

12:38 PM. THE SOUTHERN AIR TEMPLE

"kyoshi island is only a few hours on here,"  aang says, showing the water tribe siblings the notebook that he and y/n stole from the fire nation ship.  "according to this, avatar kyoshi was the fiercest of warriors and a master of what they call the avatar state. maybe, something in her shrine will help me control my power before- "

"you kill someone?"

"sokka,"

"before it happens again," aang continues, looking at sokka wearily and walks off. sokka looks at his sisters before walking towards the two of them. 

"it's time to go home," sokka says to his sisters. 

"what/eh?" katara and y/n say at the same time.

"we did our part," sokka continues. "we saved him and you," he motions towards y/n who looks away. "from the firebenders. now it's time to go home. my duty..." katara tilts her head. "our duty is to protect the village, like dad told us too,"

"they can protect themselves," katara says. 

"besides, baby bro," y/n starts. "what's the point if we don't save the world? wolf cove won't be safe,"

"can both of you hear what you're saying?" sokka scoffs. "save the world," he mocks. "us?"

"why not?" katara challenges. "if the world is going to have any chance, it's going to need aang. and you're right. we do have a duty," katara continues. "and it's to protect the avatar,"

"protect him? you want to protect him?" sokka chuckles, dryly. "the guy who nearly blew us off the top of this mountain,"

"it's about more than just helping aang," katara admits, which makes y/n look at her baby sister. "ever since he came into our lives, things have changed for me. before i met him, i couldn't bend enough water to fill a thimble. and now look what i can do! and that's after a single day! look around, look where we are now. i don't know about you, but i can't go back," katara looks at both of her siblings then walks off. 

sokka sighs, looking into the sky. 

"what do you think?" he asks y/n. 

"oh, i didn't think you would ask," y/n teases. "thought you would just be the alpha male and say what we have to do," sokka looks at her, making the girl smile at him. "i love my home. and i will forever miss it. but...what if we were made for more? not just to protect our home but everyone else's too,"