chapter⁸

arriving at omashu

arriving at omashu

a/n: fave avatar??

💧✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼💧

authors pov

08:03 AM. FOREST AWAY FROM KYOSHI ISLAND

"okay, come on!" y/n says to the younger benders, clutching katara's satchel. 

"it's time to go," sokka says, holding a bunch of fruit and vegetables in his arms. y/n offered to help but sokka is a 'big boy', i mean 'man' and he can do it himself without his older sister. "we shouldn't stay in the same place for too long,"

aang and katara start laughing, sokka looks them at confused. he turns to y/n for help who lets out a laugh then motions for him to look down. and his frown deepens. 

momo stands on his paws, holding fruit the same way sokka has. 

"you are so cute, momo!"

💧

the water tribe siblings sit at the back of appa, aang at the front, as always. 

sokka continues to look at the fan, a soft smile on her face. 

"i like her too, romeo," y/n teases as katara nods. 

"she's very smart and pretty," katara continues. sokka smiles at them both. 

"yeah," sokka smiles. "she was cool,"

"of course, i have no idea what she saw in you," katara says, making sokka glare at her, playfully. 

"hey, what's not to like?" he says, poking both of his sisters. both y/n and katara laugh, putting their hand's on sokka shoulder. 

appa flies the them over a forest, the wind whistling around them. 

"look!" aang says, pointing out to the forest, alerting the water tribe siblings. the three get closer to the front, scanning the ground. 

"what's wrong?"

"what is it? fire nation?"

"i think..." aang starts. his finger still pointed out to the sky. y/n squints her eyes, seeing something...flying? "i think it's another airbender!"  

"he's headed for that mountain," sokka points out. 

"that's no mountain! that's omashu!" aang smiles, looking back at the siblings. y/n looks at her younger siblings confused. "appa! yip yip!"

💧

"omashu was carved out a living mountain," aang says, walking with the water tribe siblings after he had parked appa somewhere no on could see him. "it's one of the wonders of the earth kingdom. of the world, actually. and they have an incredible delivery system that winds through the whole city. and the people there, they're artists, scientist, builders. plus, the food there is amazing,"

"woah," y/n mumbles, looking up and seeing the beautiful city. it looks like a palace. earthy, built strong. it looks magical. aang walks onto the bridge first, taking in it's sights. he hasn't been here in one hundred years, hopefully everything looks exactly the same. 

y/n pushes her siblings along forward with her, the two walking slowly. they find themselves in a queue, infront of a wagon. 

"you again?" a earth kingdom solider says, towards a merchant. "what did i tell you before?" the merchant is pushed down, his cart earthbended into the sky and down into the lake underneath the bridge. 

sokka and katara look at each in panic as y/n brings aang closer to them. 

"they don't take kindly to outsiders in omashu," a male says, getting the gaang's attention. his dark hair partly tied up as he wears a green and brown robe. 

"what makes you think we're outsiders?" aang says as he holds his glider. the water tribe siblings look down at the water tribe clothing, in sync. 

"no reason," the guy gives them a smile, pulling down on the reigns so his cart starts moving forward. 

"wait," katara says, calling him back. he stops his cart, looking back at the four outsiders. "we're new here, but we have a friend we need to see. we could just use a little help getting inside,"

the guy looks at them, inspecting each one of them. there's no harm right?

💧

y/n sits in the back of the cart with sokka and aang, adjusting the dress she was given. it's a little tight. 

"sorry," she hears from the front. "it's either that or the turnip sack. i'm sure you can make that look good too," y/n's mouth drops wide open as sokka scoffs. she shushes him, listening intently. "omashu's one of the last earth kingdom strongholds. try as they might firebenders haven't been able to take it yet. that's why they're so careful here,"

"so how do you know we're not a threat?"

"just a feeling,"

"oh wow," sokka mumbles, but it's still loud enough for everyone to hear. 

"shut up, sokka," y/n says, hushing him as aang snickers. 

"hold there," a earth kingdom solider says, putting his hand up and stopping the group. "state your business,"

"headed to market, as usual," the solider looks back at the rest of the cart. "oh, wasn't a great crop this month. she told me i wasn't watering the turnips enough. knew there was a reason i married her,"

y/n cannot believe her ears. is this guy flirting with her sister?  we don't even know his name, yet. 

"irrigation, am i right?" katara laughs, dryly. sokka makes himself known, smiling down at the earth kingdom solider. 

"uh, my...my brother in law would agree if he could speak," the guy says, looking back at sokka. the smile disappears from his face so fast. "struck mute at birth," 

y/n bites her lip, trying not to laugh as aang does the same. sokka slumps back in the end of the cart, glaring at the two benders. 

"you'd be amazed at how much he can say without words," the guy continues. "just the other day, he made us laugh so hard-"

"all right, that's enough. move along," the other earth kingdom soldiers eathbend the muddy gates, making it pull apart from the middle.  

entering the gates, y/n looks around in awe, seeing the greens and browns. it looks like a majestic forest. she takes off the green robe, feeling a bit more comfortable in her water tribe attire. 

the cart stops, y/n, sokka and aang jumping out the back off it swiftly. 

katara gets up from the passenger seat, looking back at the stranger. 

"good luck finding your friend," he says, giving her a smile. "and be careful. omashu can be a dangerous place," katara looks at the guy suspiciously, but nods none the less. he smiles at her, getting his cart continue to roll on, the animal he has pushing it forward. 

y/n watches, looking at the guy. she has a feeling that won't be the last time she sees him.