42. Steamy Windows (Part 2)

"I say we sell the drugs and make a run for Maui" Aurelio chuckles.

"Not funny, scoccio," Santiago grunts, slapping Aurelio in the back of the head.

"Did it sound like I was joking?" Aurelio snaps. "You all drag me here, bruised and cut and only abuse me more."

"Don't be a baby," Della teases, waving Aurelio off.

"Hazel loves the kid in me. It drives the chicks crazy," Aurelio says, winking.

Coda makes an annoyed noise in the back of his throat and Aurelio smiles smugly. "Even Coda fears that Hazel will come running to me."

"Please, I'm pretty sure she'd rather eat rat feces than be with you," Santiago mutters.

"That isn't what she said last night," Aurelio jokes suggestively.

I roll my eyes and Coda growls, annoyed.

As they bicker, I glance down at the blueprint again.

"There has to be a crevice where they store some of the drugs waiting to be packed into cars. There's no way they can bring the drugs to pack into the car every week," I murmur quietly, feeling Coda's presence beside me.

He nods, digging the palm of his hands into his eyes. He looks exhausted.

"Check your father's office."

I gape at him. "No way. It can't be there. The only way there would be drugs in there is if he were aware..."

I trail off. There was no way my father was involved in this.

Coda looks away, uncomfortable. "Someone of authority has to know. It doesn't make sense how a bunch of workers can spend every night by themselves, even if you father allowed them to lock up. None of this is adding up."

"Blaming my father will not make everything make more sense," I hiss, seething.

"I know," Coda snaps. "I'm trying my best here Hazel. You're biased."

"Shouldn't you be too? My father took you in when you had no one, he cared for you-"

Coda growls. "I know. I know Hazel, you don't have to tell me what he's done for me. I'm only trying to think of every possibility."

Swallowing hard, I turn away and push open the doors, to stalk up the stairs.

Coda is close on my heels but he says nothing as I open punch in the code to my father's office door.

It is dark, the moonlight offering a small strip of light across the room.

I don't want to turn on the light in case it called unwanted attention so I flick on my flashlight.

Coda is pressed to my side, his gun drawn and poised as he scans the room. He nudges me to the right and checks every corner of the room.

When he is satisfied that no one is there, he nods, keeping his eyes on the door. Not wasting any time, I dive towards my father's desk.

My hands are shaking as I shove the carpet aside.

My fingers linger over the keypad and I swallow hard.

I could do this. I had to do this. You're father, the first man you ever respected is not involved with this gang, I chide myself, quickly punching in the code.

17-4-21-7

The birthday dates of my mother, Jeremy, Gwen and I.

Like clockwork, the safe lifts slightly after the hinges snap back. The click of the safe opening rings through the room.