14. Stephen McStud Muffin

14.      

            I glance over at Coda, barely containing my laughter.

            He heaves a heavy sigh, running a hand through his nearly dried hair, mussing the strands to slick a little bit to the side.

            Even after I douse him with water, he still looks good.

            I bite my lip, giggling silently as I think back to how priceless his face was when he turned on the car at the gas station.

            Of course, the gas store manager came out in a huff and kicked us out, but all in all, it was worth it.

            I glance at Coda again.

            “If you keep looking at me like that, I’m going to do something you probably won’t like,” Coda warns me, glancing at me.

            I frown. “Like what? Toss me into the ocean?”

            “Tempting,” Coda tells me, flicking on his turn signal. “But no, I was thinking more along the lines of kissing you.”

            I blanche, turning a deep red.

            Now, I own a onesie, and I wear it proudly every night in the vicinity of my home. However, a couple months ago, my parents brilliantly forgot to tell me that we would have guests over and in the end, I came waltzing out with my toothbrush hanging from my lips donning my hot pink onesie.

            Let’s just say it was horrifically humiliating. I spent the hour basically cowering in the fridge.

            But even after I went through such an event, I can’t say that I blushed brighter than I was doing right now with the thought of Coda kissing me.

            What was I even thinking about again?

            My lips were glued shut, unable to come up with a cheeky retort.

            Pull yourself together Hazel, I think to myself. Pull up those grown-up diapers of yours and act like an adult.

            Clearing my throat, I turn my cheek a bit.

            “Well, you’re right about one thing- I would hate for that to happen,” I say, shaking as I take a sip of water to calm my nerves.

            Coda chuckles. “You do realize that we’re boyfriend and girlfriend.”

            My heart takes off into a spasmic mess, the water nearly spewing from my lips as I swallow hard.

            Choking, I hack away, tears in my eyes as I take in his words.

            Coda sits back smugly, a smirk on his lips as he reaches behind me to pat my back condescendingly.

            “We,” I cough out. “Are only that through contract.”

            Coda breaks into a grin, turning his head lazily to smile up at me.

            “Where’s the fun in that?” he asks me, his fingers stilling on my back.

            I look away, a mortified look on my face as I look out at the passing trees.

            “Are we even yet?” I moan, pressing my fingers on my cheek to cool them down. At this rate, I would blow up with all his teasing.