Chapter Two

Zayn Malik looked in his bedroom mirror with a sigh as he looked over his appearance. His raven black hair was gelled up above his head, for the first time in a while, and his chin and jaw was now free of any stubble or facial hair. He used his fingers to try and comb his eyebrows into some sort of shape. Before Liam’s death, his personal hygiene meant everything. He showered once a day, made sure he was stubble free before going out in public, and that he was always dressed nicely and presentably. While studying teaching in university, they had stressed the importance of a good appearance, and he used to chuckle to himself when he’d think of how good he was at that, but since Liam died, it seemed like he had forgotten how to use the shower, or his razor for a matter of fact.

“Liam, is this too soon? I don’t want to go to a party knowing that you’re…you know. It doesn’t feel right.” Zayn whispered, even though he was alone in the house. He stayed silence, hoping that in some bizarre twist of hope he may hear Liam’s beautiful voice from behind him, telling him that once he’d get to the party he’d enjoy it, but no voice came.

Zayn shook his head and looked at his appearance in the mirror, when there was a clatter from the wardrobe. Zayn let out a cry of fright and jumped out of his skin when he saw how the wardrobe door was open and one of Zayn’s shirts was now lying messily on the floor. Zayn looked around the room slowly for a moment, pondering how an earth that shirt could have fallen out, and pushed open the wardrobe door in doing so. He slowly walked over to it and picked it up. It was just a plain white shirt, and Zayn recalled how Liam had loved seeing him in that shirt because of how it made his skin tone stand out.

 Looking around the room again with cautious eyes, he pulled the white shirt around his shoulders, before buttoning it up, and leaving it tucked out of his black jeans. He pulled up the collar before he pulled on a loose, navy jumper and then a pair of black shoes before looking over himself once again. He rolled his eyes, his self confidence evaporated as he walked over to the dressing table was, which held all of his various hair gels and colognes on it. He pulled on a silver watch before spraying himself with his normal scent. His chocolate brown eyes looked down to Liam’s favourite cologne, and Zayn had to restrain himself from spraying some just to smell it.

From downstairs, a door burst open, which made Zayn jump again.

“Zayniepoo! You’re best friend in the whole world has arrived to take you to the party! And he also needs to pick up some booze on the way in, so get your bum down these stairs!” Harry Styles suddenly called from downstairs, and Zayn chuckled and rolled his eyes slightly. Harry Styles, his best friend since they had met at university three years ago was now downstairs. Harry was one of the best guys he’d ever met apart from Liam. He seemed to have some sort of secret power, he could always predict Zayn’s moods and emotions, even better than Liam could at times. He hadn’t seen Harry for a few days, and felt a little excited, although he still felt weighed down. He always felt weighed down.

“Hey Hazz! I’ll be down in a sec.” Zayn called downstairs, giving himself one last look over before leaving his bedroom, switching off the light as he left the room. He walked down the stairs, not noticing the two lingering green eyes that were watching him intently.

“You’ve scrubbed up well, mate.” Harry chuckled, which made Zayn finally look up and see him. Zayn couldn’t help but beam a smile as he reached the bottom of the stairs and wrapped his best friend in a big hug. Through all of the ongoing weeks that had past, Harry had been such a constant support, and it had brought them even closer. The thought of that gave Zayn a mental, bittersweet slap.

“So have you, Hazz. You need your haircut though.” Zayn chuckled, as he looked over his best friend’s appearance. Harry’s brown curls were sprawling about everywhere, like they always were, and his dimples were cemented into his cheeks. He was wearing a loose white T-shirt, which showed off his biceps and collarbones, and made those two bird tattoos peak out and greet Zayn.  He was in light chinos that were tight around his legs, and he had a dark blue shirt on over that, that was buttoned up halfway, and then a khaki coloured denim jacket over that. He looked really good, Zayn had to admit.