Chapter Five

When Zayn Malik woke up that morning, he was in utter confusion. His head felt like it had been involved in a wrestling match, and his eyelids were so heavy that he really didn’t want to open them, but he had too. He had to open them because there was something warm and soft in front of him, and he wanted to know what it was. He hadn’t woken up next to a warm body since Liam died, and that’s why he was so confused. He finally forced his eyes open. At first, everything was blurry, but as his eyes settled and got used to the bright sunshine that was flooding through the window, Zayn realised that he was spooning with his best friend, Harry Styles. The mass of brown curls gave it away, and the smell of vanilla and alcohol. Zayn laid next to Harry’s warm body for a moment, and he was really unsure of what to do. With an oncoming hangover, he had absolutely no idea what had happened last night…or how he and Harry had ended up both topless and in the same bed. But then he remembered how long he had craved the feeling of being in someone’s arms when he woke up. This morning, he had woken up with his best friend, and as awkward as it may have been, he pushed those thoughts away and snuggled into the warmth of Harry’s back. His hands were on Harry’s waist, and his thumbs naturally started to rub circles into the boys skin. His face was pressed up against the back of Harry’s neck, and Zayn felt like he was in heaven.

He adjusted his face a little, and as he did so he glanced over to see what the time was. It was almost eleven o’clock in the morning, but that didn’t bother Zayn. His eyes glanced to the small photo frame next to the clock, and he almost screamed with what he saw. The normal photo of him and Liam snuggled up together was the same, but Liam was replaced by Harry. Zayn couldn’t tear his eyes away from it, and for a moment he thought it was some sort of sick joke by Harry. Zayn abandoned cuddling up to his best friend and jumped over grabbing the photo frame. He had practically jumped over Harry and had woken him up by landing on him, but Zayn didn’t care. As he went to grab the photo he had pushed it off the bedside table and now it was facing upside down. Zayn propelled himself off the bed and landed on his bedroom floor, and he frantically grabbed hold of the photo frame. He turned it over quickly and frowned in confusion. It was back to him and Liam…but now the glass what cracked.

To say that one-minute Harry had been fast asleep and dreaming about being a member of Baywatch, and then the next minute he was woken up after being crushed by his best friend, who was now sat on the floor staring at a photo frame, wasn’t confusing was a lie. Harry was amazing confused, and a little winded.

“Zayn? What’s…why are you crying?” Harry asked, when he saw how his best friend now had tears slowly rolling down his cheeks. Zayn looked up and him, cradling the photo frame to his chest with a weird look in his eyes.

“What did you do? Why did you do that?” Zayn asked, his voice rough and raspy, which made the hairs on the back of Harry’s neck raise. Zayn was only in his boxers, and was sat on the bedroom floor looking at him like he was evil or something…what the hell was going on?

“Do…do what?” Harry asked quietly, feeling nervous. He felt like Zayn was about to scream and shout at him, but what for, he didn’t know. Was it because they were in the same bed? Is that what had upset Zayn? What the hell was going on?

“The picture…” Zayn mumbled, showing Harry the photo frame of Zayn and Liam, the glass now cracked. Harry frowned in confusion.

“Did I break it?” Harry squeaked. He couldn’t remember breaking it, the only thing he did was stare at it until he couldn’t bear to any longer, but he did nothing to break it. He’d never do that, not in a lifetime. Zayn shook his head, holding the frame to his chest again. He wiped his tears away roughly and got to his feet, even though his body movements were a little shaky, probably due to the hangover that he must have had.