Chapter IX - Reactive

POV Riku

"Akira." I called out to him, making him turn to me and face me. "How many points do you think we should spend?"

He smiles at me and responds.

"A good question: How many points do you think we should spend, Riku?" Instead of him answering me, he returns the question directly to me.

"Please, Akira, I'm serious. I need to hear your opinion, after all. You're the leader, right?"

"Indeed. But remember what I said before? I make no effort to help or hinder them." He shrugs. "However, since you are asking for my opinion, I would say that I would prefer to spend at most half of our points."

"Half?" I looked at him in disbelief. "That's a lot of points."

"Not exactly." He denies it, making me analyze his explanation. "'A lot' would be if we had to spend over 150 points. Spending half the points wouldn't be a lot, but it wouldn't be a little either. It's half and half."

"So it's reasonable?" He waves at me.

"And you?"

I think and give an answer. "I think we would spend a maximum of 120 points. As we have water, we don't need to worry about spending on unnecessary resources involving water, except the water filter."

"..." He doesn't interrupt me and continues watching me from the front, while he listened attentively to my point of view.

"The options we have are; Food, beds, tents, ice, coal, fire, some ingredients, medicine and lanterns."

"And what else?"

"And what else?" I was confused.

"You said you wanted to spend a maximum of 120 points. There are still 15 left." Wait, did he make a calculation in that short space of time?

"I... don't know. What else could be useful? The only items that provide help are; Candles, mosquito repellents, and-"

"Fishing rod." We said at the same time, I turned to him. "So you knew?"

"Yes. Plus, I've never fished in my life, so I wanted to have a moment like this." He shrugs.

I smiled at his sincerity. "So are you looking to enjoy this vacation? Or are you just making up a reason to create your own vacation?"

"Both." He smiles with teeth on his face.

I couldn't help but laugh at his response. Even though he's being honest with me, for some reason, I feel like he's hiding something. I just don't know what it is.

"Oh, one more thing." He calls me. "Sae wanted to have a talk with you about the preparations."

"Okay. What about you? Are you coming with me?"

"I denied her request." What? "Hey, don't look at me like that. She knew I would deny her request, that's why she asked me to call you."

I see. It's no surprise that Chabashira hasn't gotten angry with you...yet.

"Okay. Call me when you need some company." I nod.

"I'm not isolating myself, Riku. They'll soon keep me company." By them, I think he's referring to the others who went exploring the forest, including Koenji who just made a fire.

I turn and head towards the river, where I see Chabashira standing to the side, talking to Nanase and Tsubaki. Standing in front of her, I catch her attention.

"Akira told me you needed my help." She turns to face me, her expression was serious unlike before. "What?"

"Tell me, Utomiya-kun, do you think it's right to combine our classes with each other, or separate them so as not to cause confusion?"