Write Back to It

MESSAGE FROM THE AUTHOR

If you've already read this story I recommend going back to the first chapter and rereading it because I've made revisions. The plot is still the same but it's just better due to my revisions. Thank you and enjoy ❤️

Months go by, and the strike finally ends. Throughout the rest of the strike you and Stephen had little to no visits. As you return to the Ed Sullivan theatre, you're just ready for everything to go back to normal. Being able to see him, and your fellow coworkers everyday. First day back and Stephen greets you with the biggest hug. "Let's get back to it." He says with a smile. "Yes sir." You reply as you leave his office, keeping it very professional and mature.

Weeks go by and the show is running like a well oiled machine, that is until Stephen and Evie's 30th anniversary. Then here comes the side of Stephen that you dislike. The persona that he puts on for the public, the pressure to act like he loves a woman who has never treated him right. That gut wrenching awkwardness of writing first drafts —especially since you and Stephen had been in an affair— has never been a good feeling. That day was pretty much a blur for you. It was just one of those days that you wanted over as soon as possible.

Stephen knocks on the open door of your office.

"Hey." He says as he walks in. "Hi." You say in a withered tone. "Look, you don't have to write for this segment if you don't want to." He says trying to comfort you. "No, it's fine, I can do it." You reply. "30 years." He says as he sits on the couch. "Long time." You say. "Too long... if I knew about the beautiful woman that was in my future I would've waited." "And been a 59 year old bachelor?" You say almost cutting him off. "Can't you see how odd this is? Stephen as much as I love you I have to admit that maybe this isn't meant to be." You look at Stephen but he's just looking at you with a soft glare in his eyes. You can tell that those words broke him a bit.  To avoid the recoil of heart ache from his eyes to yours, you face the other direction while still talking to him. "Stephen you have a wife of 30 years, you've had more experience in love than me." Stephen gets up and closes the door "... and you have 3 children Stephen!" He cuts you off and faces you towards him by grabbing your chin. "And I wanted more!" He replies. "I wanted to be like my dad and have a big family, but truth be told I'd cut my dick off before I stick it in her again." He says looking deep into your eyes. "I don't care what the odds are. I love you y/n. I'm never gonna stop loving you y/n. And I know we've been trying to keep it professional, as we should, but I just want you to know that whenever you're ready... we can get unprofessional again."

He kisses you, and leaves.
That's all you remember from that day.

3 months later, 75th Prime Time Emmy Awards

Due to the strike, the Emmy's got pushed to January. Though you were designated to sit with the crew of writers, Stephen wanted you to sit next to him. He didn't even let you pay for your own ticket. Despite the fact that he would be with Evie the whole night, he still was still determined to make you his plus one. You were still very nervous about speculation of your ongoing relationship with Stephen, but you didn't fully reject his offer. You accepted his ticket, and let him know where you were staying. However, you sat with your staff of writers and traveled to L.A by yourself.

You show up to the red carpet and take pics with your fellow colleagues, and others in the industry with whom you've worked with. After some interviews and great interaction, you see Stephen across the room. He's standing next to Evie and looking as sharp as he can be. He's talking to a group of his own, so you try not to stare for too long. However when you glance at him for the second time, you catch his eye. His face drops and it feels like he took all of his energy from the conversation, and invested it in complimenting you with his eyes. You wave at him, and without warning or thought he makes his way towards you. "WOW. You look gorgeous." He says after greeting you with a hug. "Pretty handsome yourself." You reply. Evie comes trailing behind him. "Stephen! Why did you leave me back there?" "I was just coming to say hi to y/n, what's the problem?" He asks. "What's the problem??? I'm wearing heals Stephen I can't just chase you all night! Now a part of my shoe is stuck in my dress!" She complains. "Oh, let me help you." You say reaching for her dress. "DON'T... touch the dress, it costed more than anything you've ever owned." She remarks. "Hey don't talk to her like that. You were complaining so she was trying to help you." He says. "Oh sure Stephen, go ahead and defend her again!" She replies as she tries to fix her dress. "Oh, Evie your shoe isn't stuck you're just stepping on the dress." You then help her step off of the dress, and then instead of saying 'Thank you' she just walks away, but Stephen doesn't follow.

"Hey." Stephen says. You turn around surprised that he didn't follow her. "You wanna get some pictures together while the paparazzi's still hungry?" He suggests. "Stephen I really think you should go find Evie." You reply. "Can you run in heels?" He asks. "Yea..." "Let's make it quick then." He says taking your hand and running to the cameras outside. You were a bit hesitant, but it was actually pretty fun to do a little photoshoot with him. After that, you guys make sure to get back inside before the show starts.

The Afterparty

Although there were no Emmy's won that night, The Late Show crew still made sure to make the most of the night and have fun. Stephen still gave his speech that he gives every year. And shortly after taking more pictures, Stephen makes his way back to you. "So how are you feeling?" He asks. "I'm fine, we didn't win... but hey that's why there's a bar." You say taking a sip of your drink. Stephen laughs. "That looks pretty good, what is it?" "It's just a strawberry margarita, but they have them in all types of flavors." You reply. "You wanna try it?" You offer. "Sure." He takes a sip of your drink, and doesn't quickly tells the bar tender "I think I'm gonna get the same thing as her." While the bartender is preparing his drink, you two talk about your favorite moments from the show. Stephen grabs drink and looks around. "Uh oh, here comes a wolf in sheep's clothing." He says as Evie approaches. "Hello, I was just talking to Jason Sudeikis. He's such a sexy man isn't he?" She says. "Sure darling." responds sarcastically as he goes around her to be by your side. "Well, it's getting late, I should go." You say trying not to cause anymore conflict. "Nooo, stay a while. We're just getting started." Stephen says trying to convince you to stay. "I don't think so, I'm pretty tired, and I don't usually wear heels so my feet are pretty gross right now."

"Well, bye." Evie says, and as she becomes distracted by the other people in the room, you give Stephen a departing hug and whisper in his ear "You know where I'm staying." He gives you a nod, and you leave.